Is the pihole "bug" fixed - can I set the DNS of my WAN and LAN networks to the IP address?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Is the pihole "bug" fixed - can I set the DNS of my WAN and LAN networks to the IP address?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-08 21:42:03
Model: Deco X55 Pro  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.20 build 20230725

In the past, using a pihole was pretty much beyond the scope of my knowledge/abilities. I guess at the time there was a workaround, or you needed two piholes or something, but I also know from the piHole forums that only the Deco's had this soecific "issue".

I see an actual FAQ article on the TP-LINK website now about piHole, so I'm just curious - is this all resolved?

I can just put my raspberry pi / piHole on the network, set it to a static IP, then set the WAN and LAN DNS servers to the piHole IP and there won't be any issues?

(In the past it would change the subnet mask / IPs of everything on my local network because you couldn't have the LAN and WAN DNS servers be the same IP or something)

I was thinking about just giving it a shot, but I have so many carefully-set-up devices on my network, I'd hate to have them all go offline or get new IPs.

Thanks!

Options
1 Reply
Re:Is the pihole "bug" fixed - can I set the DNS of my WAN and LAN networks to the IP address?
2023-10-09 02:14:45

@flashVenom 

Hi, I tested on Deco X68 with 1.2.3 firmware and it still does not allow WAN DNS in the same IP subnet as LAN.

Best regards.

Options