Deco X20 DSL - FTTP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco X20 DSL - FTTP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco X20 DSL - FTTP
Deco X20 DSL - FTTP
2023-10-08 21:58:20 - last edited 2023-10-09 20:09:38
Model: Deco X20-DSL  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I have been a happy user of the X20-DSL for a few years now, I have 2 satellite X20's connected to extend the range to all over house.

I have recently taken advantage of the 'free to flip' NBN option and now have a FTTP connection, (SuperLoop)

I would like to know what I can replace the DSL device with to connect to the NBN box with and still keep my mesh network working

Cheers

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Deco X20 DSL - FTTP-Solution
2023-10-09 02:03:37 - last edited 2023-10-09 20:09:46

@BigCraig 

Hi,

Besides Raven-au'sraven-au's' s advice, it is also suggested to connect the laptop via an Ethernet cable to the NBN box to check the internet connection type.

If the laptop did not work immediately with the cable, you might need something like a PPPOE username and password for the new FTTP connection.

By the way, when Deco X20-DSL is in wireless router mode, it works just like a standard Deco X20.

So it is also worth a try to connect one of the satellite X20 to the NBN box and set it as the new main Deco.

Best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-10-09 04:17:51 - last edited 2023-10-09 20:09:38

@BigCraig when my connection was upgraded the tech didn't seem to understand some of the terms I threw at him.

So what do you actually have?

Did the tech ask you for an Ethernet cable or provide one?

Basically, is there an Ethernet cable coming from the bottom of the NBN box installed by the installer?

If that is the case, and the installer provisioned the connection, it should work.

It's possible your ISP needs to do something but I wasn't aware of that when mine was changed, probably worth calling them if you continue to have trouble.

I'd also go into the Deco app and check the settings, it should be detected as "Dynamic IP" and shouldn't need configuration.

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:Deco X20 DSL - FTTP
2023-10-08 23:49:12

@BigCraig that offer is pretty good.

After converting I have reports that my network has been more resposive but the increase in plan speed I made is not actually much.

Anyaway, the cable that comes out of your FTTP box is plain old Ethernet so unless you use VoIP functionality you should be able to plug this into one of those 4 LAN ports on the Deco and have it detect the internet, you won't need to use that top DSL port any more.

If you do use the VoIP functionality it gets more complicated.

Options
2023-10-09 00:31:48
Thanks for your reply Raven, I don't believe I have VoIP, I did plug in an ethernet cable into LAN port and did receive activity lights, but the device stayed with a red light, I did change operation mode to Wi-Fi Router mode as well but still didn't seem to establish a connection? I will try another cable when i get home this evening and see what happens Cheers
Options
2023-10-09 02:03:37 - last edited 2023-10-09 20:09:46

@BigCraig 

Hi,

Besides Raven-au'sraven-au's' s advice, it is also suggested to connect the laptop via an Ethernet cable to the NBN box to check the internet connection type.

If the laptop did not work immediately with the cable, you might need something like a PPPOE username and password for the new FTTP connection.

By the way, when Deco X20-DSL is in wireless router mode, it works just like a standard Deco X20.

So it is also worth a try to connect one of the satellite X20 to the NBN box and set it as the new main Deco.

Best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-10-09 04:01:14 - last edited 2023-10-09 04:01:44

David-TP wrote

@BigCraig 

Hi,

Best regards.

Thanks for chiming in @David-TP, I was hoping you would.

It's possible that the user ISP uses PPPoE but NBN Co. doesn't use PPPoE they use Automatic IP, basically DHCP, and they are widely used here in Australia.

Even Telstra NBN connections use this and they have always wanted to retain control over their customer setups, presumably to reduce support overheads.

Just to clear this up a bit, NBN Co were formed as part of a government national internet upgrade project and they are now the primary infracture provider here in Australia.

But there were some independent ISPs that already provided fiber based network connections when this all started and last I was aware some of them remained.

It's certainly worth verifying the connection has been provisioned properly (and to check it really is an NBN connection) by connecting a PC or laptop of some sort though.

Also, assuming the connection is DHCP should simply connecting it up to one of those LAN ports "just work"?

I'm assuming what your saying above means the answer to this is "yes, provided the Deco is set to router mode" (I didn't know that last bit).

Should a reboot be needed?

If all else fails should a reset to factory defaults and reconfigure from scratch work?

Ian

Options
2023-10-09 04:17:51 - last edited 2023-10-09 20:09:38

@BigCraig when my connection was upgraded the tech didn't seem to understand some of the terms I threw at him.

So what do you actually have?

Did the tech ask you for an Ethernet cable or provide one?

Basically, is there an Ethernet cable coming from the bottom of the NBN box installed by the installer?

If that is the case, and the installer provisioned the connection, it should work.

It's possible your ISP needs to do something but I wasn't aware of that when mine was changed, probably worth calling them if you continue to have trouble.

I'd also go into the Deco app and check the settings, it should be detected as "Dynamic IP" and shouldn't need configuration.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-10-09 20:08:48

@raven-au 

Hi Raven,

I went home last night and replaced the ethernet cable from the Deco to the NBN box, (I also unplugged other LAN cables at the same time) I then changed to Wi-Fi Router in operations mode and reboot the Deco

and waited, light stayed red underneath for quite awhile, i had to go and start dinner prep before the boss got angry but took my phone with the app with me, after about 5 mins nothing had changed, but then i got distracted and when i checked later possibly 30 mins later it all appeared to working...I had a new IP and GW and everything was back as intended.

Thank you and David for your suggestions, I am happily surfing again

Cheers

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 522

Replies: 6

Related Articles