Deco M4 Wi-Fi issues after firmware update (v1.5.8)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-10 20:23:20
Tags: #slow wi-fi
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: v1.5.8

After updating my TP-Link Deco M4s to firmware v1.5.8, I've encountered persistent Wi-Fi issues. While my wired PC maintains a stable 500/500 Mbps connection, Wi-Fi devices experience intermittent slow speeds. Traditional fixes like running a "Network Optimization" scan via the Deco app have proven ineffective.

I've also tried various troubleshooting steps from TP-Link's support forums, such as disabling UPnP and SIP ALG. These measures offered only temporary relief. Despite multiple scans, network resets, and even contemplating a firmware downgrade, the issue persists.

In desperation, I reverted to my old Archer C5 Router, using the same SSID and password. Surprisingly, the Wi-Fi issues disappeared. To address dead spots in my home, I connected the Deco to the Archer in Access Point (AP) mode, which seemed to be working well for two weeks or so, but today the Wi-Fi network slowed down to the point of becoming unusable and attempting to run Network Optimization scans resulted in errors in the app, stating that the scan could not be performed or at times stating that a Deco Unit could not be found.

I'm baffled as to why the Deco, which had been reliable for 2-3 years in Router mode, suddenly became problematic, then seemed to work in AP mode for 2 weeks and then once again become even more problematic - without any changes to the network from my side. Has anyone else experienced similar issues with TP-Link Deco Wi-Fi? Am I overlooking something obvious?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco M4 Wi-Fi issues after firmware update (v1.5.8)
2023-10-11 07:23:10

@OnlyOneKenobi 

Hi, welcome to the community.

I see you have tried to downgrade the firmware already, but it did not help. May I know your original firmware version?

Would a temporary "Reboot all Decos "on the Deco APP help to restore the internet speed on the wireless?

It is also suggested to separate 2.4GHZ and 5GHz to see whether both bands have the same issue:

• set the Main network to 5Ghz only with SSID #1
  • enable Guest network to 2.4GHz only with SSID#2

If possible, please also leave the main Deco M4, and unplug the satellite units in case the wireless devices automatically switch to the further satellite M4.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
Re:Deco M4 Wi-Fi issues after firmware update (v1.5.8)
2023-10-11 07:50:44

@David-TP I did not downgrade the firmware as I could not find a way to do it using the deco app, I had considered that to be a logical option but the app lacks the functionality to do it and there is no Windows \ Desktop app to manage the deco units. I don't know what my previous firmware version, presumably it would have been the one prior to 1.5.8. What are the steps involved with downgrading the firmware?

Rebooting the decos, unplugging the satellite decos, separating the 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz networks made no difference.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 334

Replies: 2

Tags

slow wi-fi
Related Articles