Identifying Deco M4 Model

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-13 04:41:12 - last edited 2023-10-16 05:56:08
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I recently purchased 3 deco M4 units off of an online marketplace, but I'm struggling to identify which versions they actually are. When I asked they said they don't know, but they all work the same...

One is V1 with 12V and 1.2A

Two are V2 with 12V and 1.5A

I can provide more information from the bottom of the Decos' if needed. 

Also, I'm looking to connect one to my Sky router, and have one in the room furthest from the router. Which should I place where.

Many thanks in advance! 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Identifying Deco M4 Model-Solution
2023-10-13 14:42:48 - last edited 2023-10-16 05:56:08

@Trs_ 

If you are asking which firmware versions these Deco units come with, you can find that in Deco app after adding them to your Deco mesh. Open Deco app, go to More/System/Update Deco. Current firmware versions will be listed there. Example:

It does not matter much which one of M4 you will make Main Deco, if they come with hardware versions V1 and V2. If one of them has hardware version V4, that one should be Main Deco - it might offer more features as Main Deco.

From power consumption you shared it appears V2 draws more power, which means it either has slightly more powerful CPU or slightly stronger WiFi, or both. That difference would not matter very much for home network, but probably makes sense to make V2 your Main Deco (connected to Sky router).

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:Identifying Deco M4 Model-Solution
2023-10-13 14:42:48 - last edited 2023-10-16 05:56:08

@Trs_ 

If you are asking which firmware versions these Deco units come with, you can find that in Deco app after adding them to your Deco mesh. Open Deco app, go to More/System/Update Deco. Current firmware versions will be listed there. Example:

It does not matter much which one of M4 you will make Main Deco, if they come with hardware versions V1 and V2. If one of them has hardware version V4, that one should be Main Deco - it might offer more features as Main Deco.

From power consumption you shared it appears V2 draws more power, which means it either has slightly more powerful CPU or slightly stronger WiFi, or both. That difference would not matter very much for home network, but probably makes sense to make V2 your Main Deco (connected to Sky router).

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Identifying Deco M4 Model
2023-10-13 15:01:08

@Alexandre. Thank you for your reply! I will definitely be using a V2 directly from the sky hub. 

Regarding the firmware versions and information available on the app, I will have a look when they arrive. 

Do you know if I will be able to find out if the ports are giga or dual band? 

Options
2023-10-13 15:33:43

@Trs_ 

Trs_ wrote

Do you know if I will be able to find out if the ports are giga or dual band? 

If you are talking about Ethernet ports, what is "dual band Ethernet port?" Can you give me a definition?

Options
2023-10-13 15:44:05

@Alexandre. Honestly, I'm not entirely sure, as I've been struggling to find information regarding the difference in m4 decos. 

Some are listed as "Dual band" and some "gigabit". 

Options
2023-10-13 15:55:16

@Trs_ 

This is probably just different product description at different web sites. 

I can go very technical, if you want to waste my time and yours, but I would rather start simple: for the purpose of your home WiFi mesh, consider Deco M4 you bought identical. 

Each has two gigabit Ethernet ports, each supports two WiFi bands (and standards): WiFi 2.4Ghz and WiFi 5.

As far as devices (smartphones, tablets, PCs and so on) connected to Deco M4 by Ethernet cable or wirelessly, these devices won't see the difference between M4 units. 

Options
2023-10-13 16:08:34

@Alexandre. That's enough information for me! I'm not here to waste anyones time, was just hoping for a bit of information regarding the difference between the two! 

I very much appreciate your time, and am thankful for the help I have received. 

Tristan

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 351

Replies: 6

Related Articles