Xe75 Pro - Poor performance, packet drop and latency

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-13 18:16:28
Model: Deco XE75 Pro  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.2 Build 20230601 Rel 66771

I have just purchased a 3 pack of thes to replace a 5 year old single netgear unit.  So far I am really dissapointed and considering returning the units.

I have about 40 devices and setting them up one at a time on a mobile app was painfuiul but I knew that was a thing.  Why on earth is the actual web interface so useless!  For a device that advertises it can handle 200 connections, why would you think people want to manage them all via a mobile phone app!

Having set everything up. the performance I am getting from the mesh system is terrible.  There is only 15M between all three units and I am using dedicated 6GHz backhaul.  

On an almost completely unutilised network,  latency is all over the place and I am seeing continual packet drops.  Using single 5 year old  LInksysEA9500, I would get a solid 2 to 3ms latency with an idle network  and never saw any dropouts or latency like this even under load 

Everything is most definitely not looking good.

I am also frequently seeing satelite units show as offline in the app, wwhihc doesnt fill me with hope.

This is with firmware 1.2.2 Build 20230601 Rel 66771 

While speed connected directly to the main unit is acceptable, is is still not exercising the 1Gb Ineternet link.  Connection via a satelite unit in the mesh is terrible and dropouts/latency are even worse.   I have tried using different network cards and on different PCs.  My son is 5M from the main unit and had to switch to wired network on his Xbox as lag in games like Rainbow Six Siege made it unplayable.  

Is there any new firmware due that might address this?

Unless this improves my units are going back to Amazon.  Really dissapointed.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Xe75 Pro - Poor performance, packet drop and latency
2023-10-14 03:09:34 - last edited 2023-10-14 03:10:32

I did some simple ping tests.

The source is close to the Main Deco and connected at 5GHz.

0 hops means the target is connected to the Main Deco.

1 hop means the target is connected to a node which is itself connected to the Main Deco.

Note that I have set my 6GHz band to be Backhaul + client connections.

The limited range of the 6 GHz band means it's probably the cause of the packet loss we see below.

Both of my nodes are less than 10 meters, more than 10 meters or even less than 10 meters with a wall or closed door will probably not be too good  for the 6GHz, that's just a fact of the way wireless works. 

The 1 hop 6GHz targets are via a node about 9 meters away behind a closed door and wall.

The packet loss of the 0 hop 6GHz target is anomalous, no idea what's going on there. 

15 meters is way too far for 6GHz backhaul!

5GHz, wired target, Main Deco (0 hops)
147 packets transmitted, 147 received, 0% packet loss, time 146233ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 1.782/3.003/23.170/2.118 ms

5Ghz, 6GHz target, Main Deco (0 hops)
214 packets transmitted, 213 received, 0.46729% packet loss, time 213311ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 3.590/152.335/823.083/151.357 ms

5GHz, 5Ghz Target, Main Deco (0 hops)
192 packets transmitted, 192 received, 0% packet loss, time 191288ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 4.448/7.749/70.985/6.384 ms

5Ghz, 5GHz target, Living Room (1 hop)
152 packets transmitted, 152 received, 0% packet loss, time 151239ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 5.400/9.248/75.331/6.078 ms

5GHz, 6GHz target, Living Room (1 hop)
166 packets transmitted, 166 received, 0% packet loss, time 165229ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 9.324/176.134/463.304/131.418 ms

Options
Re:Xe75 Pro - Poor performance, packet drop and latency - Resolved
2023-10-15 16:03:30

OK.  I have spent the weekend troubleshooting.  I have set the preferences on each of the Deco satellites to connect to the main Deco unit and all the physically static devices to prefer the closest DECO.  I have set the wifi backhaul to non-dedicated.  While this helped for some devices, latency and drop out were still all over the place on PCs.  After working out the issue was only on Windows 11 devices at that point and spending hours disabling everything  a bit at a time, I found something that made a difference.  Each of the PCs had  "Project to this PC" enabled which creates a virtual adapter.  I removed that feature and for the last 24 hours no dropouts now, even under load, and a relatively sane idle network response.

Speed on a device conencteds to a sattelite unit is also way better and now what I was hoping for with this setup.

I will probably end up running CAT6 to the satellites though when I get time.  

Options
2023-10-21 03:53:50

OK.  I obviously upset the IT Gods.   After thinking all was well and I had stopped having a continual pin running to another device, I noticed lag again on games.  Back on with the ping. 

IT seems after a random period but usually several hours, performance goes down the drain again.  This is random time of day.  Rebooting the main Deco solves the problem.  It is now about 3.30am where I am and I am the only person awake.  I am 5M from the Deco with line of sight and this is what I am getting.

After reboot of main Deco

Options
2023-10-21 10:30:07

@Archviceduke as you saw above I don't see quite the same symptomes as you but I see a number of problems.

One is network disruptions which cause VPN connections to disconnect.

This is that much more puzzling because my work VPN (on a Linux machine) stays connected all day and part of the evening.

These might be due to the second problem but seem to be very short duration so are possibly a separate problem.

I get slowdowns, usually between 8 and 9 at night but that's probably because I've usually spent a while watching shows serviced by a local media server by then.

It lasts for around 30 - 60 minutes and then returns to being ok again.

This even happens for shows that are just a few megabits per second so it's definitely not due to high bit rate.

I have posted details of other annoying problems too.

It's a shame because the kit is actually quite capable and I like it a lot.

TP Link are not doing themselves any favors by not taking  "any" of these problems seriously.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 630

Replies: 4

Related Articles