Deco XE 75 Pro Ethernet Backhaul

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-16 10:47:00 - last edited 2023-10-17 07:24:20
Model: Deco XE75 Pro  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.2 Build 20230601 Rel.66771

Hi

Just bought new triple Deco XE75 Pro and have got it running as follows: -

Cable Modem -> Ethernet 1Gbps Port main Deco (Router Mode) -> 2nd Ethernet 1Gpps Port of main Deco -> TP-Link TL-SG108S Switch. The 2 other satellite decos are connected to the latter switch using Ethernet cables from 1Gbps ports respectively.

All decos were set up using Wi-Fi only initially then moved to final locations. One in a garden room 20m away and the other 8m away. I then connected using Ethernet cables as above.

Using a Wi-Fi speed checker I'm getting speeds in all areas varying from 300 to 800Mbps.

The Deco map is showing the icons to indicate that they are connected by Ethernet.

In WI-FI settings it is reporting 6Ghz Network is using Wi-Fi for dedicated Backhaul.

Questions I have are: -

1. Since I used an approved switch shouldn't this be reporting Ethernet Backhaul?

2. If the Ethernet Backhaul is not being used, then what are the Ethernet icons in the Deco plan indicating and doing?

3. There are just two of us in the house with a couple of Wi-Fi 6 capable iphones and a Firestick wifi6. At what point would you not want a totally dedicated Backhaul.

I also tried swapping Ethernet cables as recommended.

Many Thanks for any assistance.

GTS

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco XE 75 Pro Ethernet Backhaul-Solution
2023-10-16 11:29:33 - last edited 2023-10-17 07:24:20

@GTSman 

In WiFi settings you define how do you want to use 6Ghz band. As soon as you unplug Ethernet cable from the Satellite Deco, it'll try using 6GHz for WiFi backhaul.

As long as Satellites connected by Ethernet cable and switch is compatible, WiFi backhaul settings will be ignored.

In your case, it makes sense to configure 6GHz as WiFi Network. You'll have to set SSID for it and password. 6GHz band is for WiFi 6E and WiFi 7 devices, not for WiFi 6 devices (yes, I know, that could be confusing).

The easiest to find if your device is WiFi 6E/7 capable is to scan WiFi networks with it and check if it sees your Deco SSID you set for for 6GHz. 

Here is how to verify that Satellite Deco uses Ethernet backhaul:

1. In Show List screen in Deco app:

2. In Deco info page for an individual Satellite Deco:

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco XE 75 Pro Ethernet Backhaul-Solution
2023-10-16 11:29:33 - last edited 2023-10-17 07:24:20

@GTSman 

In WiFi settings you define how do you want to use 6Ghz band. As soon as you unplug Ethernet cable from the Satellite Deco, it'll try using 6GHz for WiFi backhaul.

As long as Satellites connected by Ethernet cable and switch is compatible, WiFi backhaul settings will be ignored.

In your case, it makes sense to configure 6GHz as WiFi Network. You'll have to set SSID for it and password. 6GHz band is for WiFi 6E and WiFi 7 devices, not for WiFi 6 devices (yes, I know, that could be confusing).

The easiest to find if your device is WiFi 6E/7 capable is to scan WiFi networks with it and check if it sees your Deco SSID you set for for 6GHz. 

Here is how to verify that Satellite Deco uses Ethernet backhaul:

1. In Show List screen in Deco app:

2. In Deco info page for an individual Satellite Deco:

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Deco XE 75 Pro Ethernet Backhaul
2023-10-16 13:24:37
Brilliant. Thanks for that.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 692