Strange WPS Brother printer issue with Deco XE75 mesh

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-17 13:43:33 - last edited 2023-10-18 02:46:53
Model: Deco XE75  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.1

Hello

I encountered a weird issue, which in my case doesn't matter, but would be interesting to know if it was just a random thing or something worth digging into.

I live in a small apartment. Basically picture an square room with 2 XE75 on opposite sides of the room. Nothing between them.

So I tried to connect my Brother Wifi printer.

1. I pressed WPS on the Deco next to printer (just below desk 60cm down) and then WPS on the printer

2. Result: It timed out

3. Tried the opposite; Pressed WPS on printer first, then app

4. Result: It timed out

5. Then I pressed WPS on the other Deco, which has direct internet connection and then printer.

6. Result: Worked after about 20-30 seconds.

Hmm....

In my case it doesn't matter since I live in a small apartment, but if I move into a house I'm not sure I want to place my printer close to "the first" Deco.

Don't think I'm gonna try to debug this issue since I'm a bit worried that it might stop working completely if I do. Might be interesting to hear your thoughts on this issue if it just was something temporary or not.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Strange WPS Brother printer issue with Deco XE75 mesh-Solution
2023-10-17 14:32:02 - last edited 2023-10-17 14:35:59

@lasseedsvik 

What you are saying is you tried WPS with Satellite Deco and it failed. You tried WPS with Main Deco and it were successful.

This is good info for other folks who may need help with WPS troubleshooting.

My understanding of WPS is it helps to connect device (printer) to WiFi mesh, not to specific WiFi unit. Meaning, now that your printer is on Deco WiFi network, it will connect to  either Main or Satellite Deco when you move them to a bigger house. 

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:Strange WPS Brother printer issue with Deco XE75 mesh-Solution
2023-10-17 14:32:02 - last edited 2023-10-17 14:35:59

@lasseedsvik 

What you are saying is you tried WPS with Satellite Deco and it failed. You tried WPS with Main Deco and it were successful.

This is good info for other folks who may need help with WPS troubleshooting.

My understanding of WPS is it helps to connect device (printer) to WiFi mesh, not to specific WiFi unit. Meaning, now that your printer is on Deco WiFi network, it will connect to  either Main or Satellite Deco when you move them to a bigger house. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Strange WPS Brother printer issue with Deco XE75 mesh
2023-10-17 14:35:52

@Alexandre. 

That is super fantastic. I've been living under a network rock past 10 years so that clarifies it yes

It all is a bit magic to me so I get puzzled easily smiley

Thank you for clearing my mind from doubts and worries yes

Options
2023-10-17 14:42:54

@Alexandre. 

So if that is true that it only works with selecting the main Deco. Then that option should be the only option to pick. Or since it's the main one; it should just say "Click next" or something.

I haven't read the manual. But if the info isn't there. It should be

Options
2023-10-17 14:45:46

@lasseedsvik 

According to documentation, WPS should work with any Deco unit, not just with Main Deco. What you have found may be a bug, and you have also found a workaround.

Options
2023-10-17 14:47:47

@Alexandre. 

Would be interesting if someone with more networking experience than me, could verify if this is an issue or not.

Thanks for fast answers yes

Options
2023-10-17 14:57:43

@lasseedsvik 

Might need to clarify that I'm not sure of the hardware version that I selected when posting this. I saw something about 2.0 on the box so I guess that is V2. Couldn't find the V-something anywhere on box or satellites

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 382

Replies: 6

Related Articles