DECO MESH M4 with UNIFI 500mbps, BUT GETS ONLY HALF THE SPEED WHEN TESTED

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-23 03:37:13
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: Deco M4(US)_V2_1.5.8 Build 20230619

recently gotten FOC upgrade from UNIFI to 500mbps ..
unfortunately, i can only get 240+mbps upon speed test. 

according to the spec, i should be able to get with the ETHERNET connection, UNFORTUNATELY, that's not the case. 

i wonder why ? ... 

even with the WIFI of 5ghz connection, i should be able to, but none of this worked. 

is the M4 supporting such speed ? ... or just for illustration purpose only ? 

Options
14 Reply
Re:DECO MESH M4 with UNIFI 500mbps, BUT GETS ONLY HALF THE SPEED WHEN TESTED
2023-10-23 04:58:00

@SJONG918 

Me too having almost the same issue as yours. 

Before upgraded to 300Mbps FOC from 100Mbps (UNIFI), i have no issue to get 100Mbps from all the 3 unit (1 main & 2 slaves).

But after upgraded to 300Mbps, I can get 300Mbps from the main unit, but only 120-130Mbps from the other 2 slaves.

p/s: I'm using the same model and firmware version as yours.

Anyone from TP, please help. Thanks.

Options
2023-10-23 05:27:56
no respond whatsoever still from TP ... theoretically, with the gigabit ports and Ethernet connections ... i should logically get very high speed ...
Options
2023-10-23 05:37:54

@TSTan 

Hi, is your Deco M4 connected to other Mesh units via WiFi or Ethernet connection?

If they are wirelessly connected, it is suggested to refer to this link:

Why is my satellite Deco unit not getting the same speed as the main Deco?

Best regards.

Options
2023-10-23 05:45:26

@SJONG918 

Hi, How about the wireless link speed you could get on the 5Ghz WiFi?

How to check the associated/link speed on a wireless client

Have you tested the Ethernet speed from the main Deco? is it near 500m/s?

5Ghz speed 240m/s+ over Deco M4 is not bad considersing its 5Ghz maximum link speed is 867m/s. Typically, the internet speed tends to be around 50-60% of the link speed, which can vary due to factors like wireless interference and the actual distance involved.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2023-10-23 05:52:47

@David-TP hi ... thanks for responding ... 
the devices were all connected with ETHERNET, and NOT WIRELESSLY ... 

i mean ... i started off to test with the MAIN ONLY, cos i will need to get the internet UP, and to test the speed. 

UNIFI technician actually tried with some other router of theirs, they recorded tremendous GOOD SPEED, 

but with the DECO M4, MAIN UNIT itself, i can barely record half of the speed only ... 

that's the whole story ... 

Options
2023-10-23 05:54:21
as i had illustrated .. i tested the whole thing via Ethernet connection ( which i thought test result should be the optimum ) ... and YES, you were right, the result was coming from MAIN UNIT, not SLAVE ya !! ...
Options
2023-10-23 06:12:24

@SJONG918 

Thank you for the quick reply.

Is your internet connection type PPPOE? Do you need a VLAN ID for the internet?

Did you enable QOS?--It would be better to leave it disabled or set it to 1000m/s download/upload.

Have you tried to set a different Deco M4 as the main Deco to see whether it helped with the speed?

How to Set up the Satellite Deco or a new Deco to be the Main Deco

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
2023-10-23 06:18:22

@David-TP 

The main Deco unit M4 is connected to router via Ethernet connection and the 2 satellite (or slave) M4 Deco units are connected to main Deco unit via wireless connection.

The client is connected wirelessly to the satellite unit (very near to the client).

Before upgraded to 300Mbps from 100Mbps, the client speed is closed to 100Mbps, but now the speed is only 120-130Mbps after upgraded to 300Mbps.

I would expect >200Mbps at least.

No issue in speed (slightly higher than 300Mbps) when the client is connected wireless to main deco unit.

The link you provided mentions the satellite unit may not get the same speed as main unit for above 500Mbps broadband. But my broadband is just 300Mbps and already saw a huge drop (>50%) in speed and rather used back the 100Mbps broadband.

Options
2023-10-23 06:41:45

David-TP wrote

@SJONG918 

Thank you for the quick reply.

Is your internet connection type PPPOE?

it is on PPPoE ... 

Do you need a VLAN ID for the internet?

i do need to setup the VLAN, it is already with the firmware and dropdown selections, under MALAYSIA - UNIFI if not mistaken ... 

Did you enable QOS?--It would be better to leave it disabled or set it to 1000m/s download/upload.

i originally left it DISABLED, but after reading some comments, i had it set @ 1000 ... BUT again, nothing changed. still the same ... 

Have you tried to set a different Deco M4 as the main Deco to see whether it helped with the speed?

as i need to have 1 unit connected to the MODEM ( supplied by ISP ), so that unit naturally became my MAIN, 
the rest of the 2 units were Ethernet connected ( Cat5E ), so thoeritically, when i have my laptop connected to either one of the DECOs, they should deliver the speed. 

How to Set up the Satellite Deco or a new Deco to be the Main Deco

Wait for your reply and best regards.

i hope i had answered all your concerns ... 

@David-TP 

Options
2023-10-23 06:45:43

@TSTan 

Hi, have you also checked the Ethernet connection speed from the satellite Deco M4?

Have you tried to set Deco into Access Point mode under Deco APP>More>Advanced>Operation Mode?

An Ethernet connection could always bring a strong connection speed between Deco units. Is there any chance that you could connect satellite M4s via cables to the main Deco M4?

best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1201

Replies: 14

Related Articles