Deco loses connection over network cable

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-23 09:02:28
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: Latest

I have 2 deco's in the house and one in the garden office, connected with a 20m ethernet cable to the main deco.

If I don't use the office, the deco wifi in the office is fine (there's a heater in that office that's connected to the wifi as well which I can check the online status of). However, when I am connected to the office deco's wifi with my laptop, pretty soon (usually within a day or so) the connection gets dropped.

At first (a while ago), I used to be able to solve it by just unplugging and plugging the cable on the main deco but this has stopped working. Now, rebooting deco's in different orders sometimes works but I have no idea what the problem is. For now, I've connected my laptop to the cable directly (and the cable to the router in the house, not to the main deco).

I have the impression that the laptop somehow brings the deco in a conflicting state it can't get out of, as the wifi stays connected fine as long as I don't use my laptop on it.

Anybody faced the same issue?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco loses connection over network cable
2023-10-25 10:46:17

@jeroenknoef 

Hi, welcome to the community.

When you said "when I am connected to the office deco's wifi with my laptop, pretty soon (usually within a day or so) the connection gets dropped", do you mean the satellite office Deco would turn flashing red and drop out of Mesh?

How frequently you have encountered this particular issue? or Are you able to reproduce this issue in a short time?

It is suggested to set Deco M5 into Access Point to see whether the issue continues:

How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
Re:Deco loses connection over network cable
2023-10-25 12:31:41

@David-TP Thanks for your reply. To answer your question, the deco turns flashing red and drops out.

Reproducing the issue at will is a bit difficult. Would that help you? Can I somehow download some log files from the device to send to you?

I moved the deco a little bit, as it was close to a metal beam. I did encounter the issue once since then but it looks to be more stable so it might be a sensitivity issue.

On a side note, I configured the network to dual band because the heater otherwise cannot access the network. Maybe this adds to the sensitivity (if that is a thing in this case).

I now isolated the heater from the rest of the network (in the deco app). Maybe this also helps, who knows.

I will look into AP mode, thanks for the suggestion.

Options