GiffGaff 4G LTE setup for TpLink MR200

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-23 09:38:16
Model: Archer MR200  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version:

There's a number of threads on this forum and elsewhere outlining what may help to stabilise the LTE 4G connection on a MR200, I thought it may help someone else if I  posted this suggestion.

It seems that if the DEFAULT internet settings are left at AUTO, then in some areas / signal fluctuations / situations the router may repeatedly fall back to 3G or otherwise drop its LTE connection and refuse to reconnect unless restarted.

The solution is to set 4G ONLY in ADVANCED>NETWORK>INTERNET

Search for and choose the appropriate carrier and band.

MR200_LTE_Giffgaff

Options
5 Reply
Re:GiffGaff 4G LTE setup for TpLink MR200
2023-10-24 08:40:14

@white60ld 

Thank you very much for sharing your solution, which is very helpful.

If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2023-10-30 13:42:42
I have the same issue (not achieving stability of 4G with GifGaf (O2) sim). Similar solution however but I set it at 3G. Stability of connection has returned. Surprisingly the through put is better than the theoretical limit of 3G I am getting download of 10.5 mbps and upload of 4 mbps Not brilliant but at least the Internet connection stays up. Good enough for YouTube streaming. According to what I have read, it would appear that we have a 3.5G (yes it is a real protocol) connection. Its 3G with wings :) I am also aware that engineers have been working on my local mast. I will try the other suggestion of Google's DNS 8.8.8.8 + 8.8.4.4
Options
2023-10-31 06:11:05

@JohnArcherMR400 

Good to know, thanks a lot for sharing your solution.

If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2023-10-31 15:39:50

@JohnArcherMR400 

JohnArcherMR400 wrote

I have the same issue (not achieving stability of 4G with GifGaf (O2) sim). Similar solution however but I set it at 3G. Stability of connection has returned. Surprisingly the through put is better than the theoretical limit of 3G I am getting download of 10.5 mbps and upload of 4 mbps Not brilliant but at least the Internet connection stays up. Good enough for YouTube streaming. According to what I have read, it would appear that we have a 3.5G (yes it is a real protocol) connection. Its 3G with wings :) I am also aware that engineers have been working on my local mast. I will try the other suggestion of Google's DNS 8.8.8.8 + 8.8.4.4

Of course the 3G setting seems also to give good stability - in fact I am using that in one location to provide a reliable uplink for a SumUp Card reader that requires very little data to function anyway.

You will need to keep an eye on exactly when O2 plan to switch off their 3G network::

Vodafone is planning to complete its switch-off in early 2024.
    EE plans to switch-off in early 2024, starting January.
    Three expects to switch-off by the end of 2024.
    O2 is planning to switch-off in 2025.

Options
2023-10-31 19:41:29

@white60ld 

Appreciate your comment.

hopefully we will be upgraded to 5G and new kit may bypass the issue.

Options