Setting up Deco P9 as access point for Sky fibre

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-23 14:03:10

Hi

I have just bought a P9 mesh set and it works perfectly with BT open reach once I knew about the BThomehub email and password. It is plugged into the open reach socket on the wall. Ideally I would like to swap to Sky (£6 less and twice the speed) and use the deco again as the Access point. However I can't find anywhere at all anything like the email address and password for Sky to be able to do this. Is it a lot more complicated to do? Can anyone please advise? I have learnt a lot in the last week having never done this before. Any advice I can find is on Sky community  forums which I cannot access as I am not a customer yet 🙄 Many thanks - I live in hope...

Options
3 Reply
Re:Setting up Deco P9 as access point for Sky fibre
2023-10-23 14:23:04

@KatiW 

Are you saying that you plan to use Sky router and connect Deco mesh to it in Access Point mode?

If this is your plan, configure Deco mesh to run in Access Point mode, connect Main Deco to Sky router with Ethernet cable and that should be it. Just like you would connect any other device such as desktop with Ethernet cable to the router, no special settings are required on such device to get Internet access from the router.

Options
2023-10-23 14:45:17 - last edited 2023-10-23 14:46:11

@Alexandre. No - sorry I want to plug deco straight into wall fibre and not use Sky Router at all if possible. Is this possible ( apologies I don't know all technical terms). That is what I have done with BT. Don't use their router.

Options
2023-10-30 09:56:14

@KatiW 

Hi, It is possible.

I think when you said "Don't use their router", you actually meant "Don't use their WiFi" right? And the router hardware is still connected to the network.

If yes, You might just need to replace the BT Home Hub with the Sky router. Since BT is no longer your internet service provider, I don't think their email password and password are still needed. The Sky router would have its way for internet connection and have you received any internet configuration credentials from Sky service?

After the sky router is online, you might need to turn off its own Wi-Fi and let Deco P9 be the only Wi-Fi Mesh system.

When  Deco P9s units are used as the Access Points, they are plug-and-play once you have the SKY router online. 

Best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 515

Replies: 3

Related Articles