Unified network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Unified network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Unified network
Unified network
2023-10-28 10:39:44 - last edited 2023-11-08 12:35:57
Model: Archer MR500  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.0 0.9.1 v0001.0 Build 220818 Rel.69350n

Hi all

I have a TP-Link router (Archer MR500) connected to the internet and 3 AP (1 outdoor and 2 outdoor), connected to the router via ethernet (EnGenius ECW160 and ECW 120). Now, the issue is that clients often disconnect and reconnect when switching from router to APs or in general from one device to another. Is there any chance to avoid this short but obnoxious disruption? I have a Sonos sound system with speakers that connect via wifi and often lose connection when moving from one room to another one. All APs have the same SSID and password than router's. I wanted to have a "mesh-like" network, or at least a seamless connection when moving into different parts of my building. Is it possible with different brands devices, or is it necessary to have all TP-link or EnGenius hardware?

Thank in advance for your help and support!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Unified network-Solution
2023-11-03 08:31:57 - last edited 2023-11-08 12:35:57

@Cisco1990 

Hi, the main reason is that MR500 only supports OneMesh, or you could consider Deco Mesh as well, as we do have Deco products which could work with SIM card and also other regular Deco product which can work as satellite units of Deco 4G/5G products.

For example, use Deco X50-4G or Deco X50-5G, or Deco X80-5G etc. as the main router which work with SIM card, then add additional regular Deco products as satellite Deco.

TP-Link Deco Whole Home Mesh WiFi Routers

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Recommended Solution
Options
9 Reply
Re:Unified network
2023-10-30 11:51:28

@Cisco1990 

Hi, building mesh network or seamless network requires the router and APs supporting the same mesh technology.

However, MR500 supports only TP-Link OneMesh which is not supported by other brands, thus your existing products cannot build a mesh network.

Even for TP-Link products there are different mesh technologies including OneMesh, EasyMesh, Deco Mesh and Omada Mesh, you could refer to this guide for their differences:

Can Deco Mesh, One Mesh, Easy Mesh and Omada Mesh products work together?

Several questions about the OneMesh™ and Mesh

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2023-11-01 08:29:12

@Sunshine Hi and thank you very much for your reply!

So let's say I want to use my current router and buy some EAP devices compatible with Omada Mesh technology, replacing my current ones and connecting them via poe to Archer MR500. Would that work at all? Don't they just need an access to internet?

Sincerely,

Raffaele

Options
2023-11-02 01:48:02

@Cisco1990 

Hi, the TP-Link EAPs with Omada Mesh will be able to build a mesh network, but please note that MR500 would not be in the mesh network since MR500 is OneMesh supported only. 

Besides, MR500 doesn't support PoE, you might need additional PoE switch between the EAPs and MR500 if you would like to use PoE as the power supply of EAPs.

If you have any questions about EAPs in the future, you could check or start new threads on our business product community: Omada Access Points Forums - Business Community

Options
2023-11-02 10:51:19

@Sunshine Hi, basically there's nothing I can do to improve my network with the current router but either just use extenders or buy a new router, right? Consider also that we connect to the internet using a sim card, being in a pretty much isolated area.

Options
Re:Unified network-Solution
2023-11-03 08:31:57 - last edited 2023-11-08 12:35:57

@Cisco1990 

Hi, the main reason is that MR500 only supports OneMesh, or you could consider Deco Mesh as well, as we do have Deco products which could work with SIM card and also other regular Deco product which can work as satellite units of Deco 4G/5G products.

For example, use Deco X50-4G or Deco X50-5G, or Deco X80-5G etc. as the main router which work with SIM card, then add additional regular Deco products as satellite Deco.

TP-Link Deco Whole Home Mesh WiFi Routers

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-11-08 10:55:40

@Sunshine Hi and thank you very much for your reply! Basically I'll have to change my router if I want a Deco Mesh system right? Or just go with OneMesh if I want to keep my Archer Mr500. 

Options
2023-11-08 12:02:17

@Cisco1990 

Yes, that is correct.

Options
2023-11-08 12:36:36

@Sunshine Thanks. Your help was much appreciated!

Options
2023-11-09 06:08:47

@Cisco1990 

You are welcome~

Options