Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-29 16:52:20 - last edited 2023-11-02 18:11:13
Model: Archer T3U  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hello, I have the Archer T3U AC1300 wifi adapter, and when I plug it in, it appears in the list of ejectable USC devices "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media". I know it is possible to remove certain hardware from this list like SSD drives or printers, but do you know if it is possible for this wifi adapter? Apparently this works on some models. https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/207504 thank you in advance for your help

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media-Solution
2023-10-31 21:35:30 - last edited 2023-11-02 18:11:13

@Stefmimi 

Hi,

It will require some effort, but it is possible.

The following method involves modifying the "Registry" of the Windows OS. So, do this at your own risk!

First you need to find out the USB ID of your Archer T3U. It might be VID_2357&PID_012D, but I am not sure. You can get it via Window's Device Manager.

In my example I will use "VID_0BDA&PID_B812", but you will have to use the correct one for the Archer T3U instead.

1) Start the Registry Editor "regedit" and open the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB\".
2) Look for a sub-key with the name of the correct USB ID.
3) Click on the sub-key within it and then get the value of "Capabilities" on the right pane.
For my RTL8812BU Wi-Fi adapter the Capabilities value is at 14 hex (20 decimal) by default, which is a binary value of ...00010100. (1 usually means something is "on" or "enabled", while 0 means "off" or "disabled")
According to information from the Internet the eject behavior can be modified by setting the third bit to 0 and the eighth bit to 1 (from right to left), so we want to change the Capabilities value to ...10010000, which equals 90 hex (144 decimal).
4) Since the Capabilities value is reset every time Windows is started we need to set up some automation.
Create a new empty plain text file with the extension *.reg and insert the content between the lines into that file: (of course with the correct Registry key for your Archer T3U)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB\VID_0BDA&PID_B812\123456]
"Capabilities"=dword:00000090
6) Open the "Task Scheduler" of Windows and "Create a Basic Task" that starts "When I log on" and runs the command to import the *.reg file. For the other required options have a look at the screenshots below. Once done log off from your Windows computer, then log on again and check the result. In case it didn't work open the Task Scheduler and check if it says the task ran successfully or not.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media-Solution
2023-10-31 21:35:30 - last edited 2023-11-02 18:11:13

@Stefmimi 

Hi,

It will require some effort, but it is possible.

The following method involves modifying the "Registry" of the Windows OS. So, do this at your own risk!

First you need to find out the USB ID of your Archer T3U. It might be VID_2357&PID_012D, but I am not sure. You can get it via Window's Device Manager.

In my example I will use "VID_0BDA&PID_B812", but you will have to use the correct one for the Archer T3U instead.

1) Start the Registry Editor "regedit" and open the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB\".
2) Look for a sub-key with the name of the correct USB ID.
3) Click on the sub-key within it and then get the value of "Capabilities" on the right pane.
For my RTL8812BU Wi-Fi adapter the Capabilities value is at 14 hex (20 decimal) by default, which is a binary value of ...00010100. (1 usually means something is "on" or "enabled", while 0 means "off" or "disabled")
According to information from the Internet the eject behavior can be modified by setting the third bit to 0 and the eighth bit to 1 (from right to left), so we want to change the Capabilities value to ...10010000, which equals 90 hex (144 decimal).
4) Since the Capabilities value is reset every time Windows is started we need to set up some automation.
Create a new empty plain text file with the extension *.reg and insert the content between the lines into that file: (of course with the correct Registry key for your Archer T3U)
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB\VID_0BDA&PID_B812\123456]
"Capabilities"=dword:00000090
6) Open the "Task Scheduler" of Windows and "Create a Basic Task" that starts "When I log on" and runs the command to import the *.reg file. For the other required options have a look at the screenshots below. Once done log off from your Windows computer, then log on again and check the result. In case it didn't work open the Task Scheduler and check if it says the task ran successfully or not.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media
2023-11-02 18:13:33

Hi,

Thank you for your research. It worked very well, I just had to replace "regedit /s" with "reg /import" at the scheduled task level

Thanks

Options
Re:Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media
2023-11-04 22:07:16

@Stefmimi 

I am glad it worked for you. And thanks for adding the alternative command that can be used to import the *.reg file.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 421

Replies: 3

Related Articles