Deco M4R - force to use only ethernet beetween AccesPoints

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-11-03 08:07:33
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.4

In my offcie I use 6 Decos. 2 units for every 3 floors. All of them are connected to network using ethernet cable. On every floor there is switch installed. And then those three switches are connected to DrayTek Router working as main office router.

Decos are working only in AP Mode. There is a problem when switch on certain floor is off. Naturally it has to be ON but when  some work with electricity is done on the certain floor power is off and switch is also off but Decos are ON because they are connected to UPS (switch is not connected to UPS)

In that case 2 Decos loose ethernet connection and they want to establish wifi connection to the network. Such case makes a problem because there is weeak signal between floors and Devos HANGS UP all my network. Even computer connected to LAN has got BIG LAGS. It looks like all network is DOWN, pings are very slow.

When switch is again power ON then Deco again connects to newtowrk via ethernet cable and then all network again works properly without lags.

My question is: IS it possible to force Deco to use ONLY ethernet cable connection to connect to network? Only cable. When switch is off then there is no cable connection to Deco and Deco do not have connection to network and DO NOT TRY to connect via Wifi to another Deco. Is it possible?

I want to loose network on certain floor due to switch power off but on the other floors there would be stable network. Actually it is not stable because Deco without ethernet cable want to establish wifi cinnection to another Deco and all network is really really slow, many pockets are lost, many computer over LAN not working properly.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco M4R - force to use only ethernet beetween AccesPoints
2023-11-03 11:36:39

@LukePL 

You are saying that when Deco nodes on a certain floor are wirelessly connected to the rest of Deco mesh, this somehow messes all office LAN, wired and wireless.

This is easy to test: when power is on, unplug all Ethernet cables from Deco nodes on that certain floor. If whole network hangs up, you proved your theory. If not, and I suspect it'll not, the problem must be somewhere else and will require additional investigation.

Options
2023-11-03 17:10:12

@Alexandre. Thats true. I have done such test. Problem is that beetween floor there is really weak signal and may be that is the reason that whole network slows down.

Options
2023-11-06 10:09:56 - last edited 2023-11-06 10:17:10

@LukePL 

Hi, I wonder maybe you could connect the switch to UPS, not Deco and the first main Deco M4R also needs to be connected to UPS.

As long as the satellite Deco is powered on, it will try to seek a Backhaul connection from other Deco units to obtain internet service.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 800

Replies: 3

Related Articles