Laptop connecting to furthest M4R, ignoring closer M4R and very close M3W

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-11-03 10:27:38
Model: Deco M4   Deco M3W  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.58 Build 2023019

My router is connected to my main M4R(2.0), which connects via ethernet to other M4R(2.0)s.

In the furthest reaches of the house, I have M3Ws.

When I work in my study in the loft, I often get slow internet which affects work meetings and internet browsing. Looking at the deco app, I can see my laptop and workstation are connected to the furthest M4R(2.0), right at the bottom of the house, bypassing the closest device, the M3W and a very close, wired M4R(2.0). 

In situations like this I find other devices in the loft are running fine and are connected to the closer M4R. Nothing is listed as connected to any of the M3Ws.

Why is this happening and how can I prevent it? I've tried disconnecting the wifit and reconnecting it but it still connects back to the furthest M4R(2.0). Just to post this thread I've had to connect the laptop to a mobile network on my phone, which bridges to the nearest M4R.

All firmware is up to date. Does anyone have any ideas on how I solve this please?

Thanks

Options
3 Reply
Re:Laptop connecting to furthest M4R, ignoring closer M4R and very close M3W
2023-11-03 11:30:16

@dickymoo 

It is possible your laptop and workstation prefer 2.4GHz WiFi band. This band is slower but it can allow devices to connect on farther distances. 

Disable 2.4GHz in Deco Main Network, leaving just 5GHz, and see if it helps. 

Options
2023-11-03 13:42:08

Thanks @Alexandre. Unfortunately I have smart home devices that don't support 5GHz, so I can't do that. I appreciate your idea though.

Options
2023-11-03 15:11:50

@dickymoo 

The point of this exercise is to find if forcing laptop and desktop on WiFi5 exclusively will fix the issue with them not connecting to the nearest WiFi mesh node. 

If you can't afford to disturb your home network even briefly, here is another option: enable Guest Network and configure it broadcast on 5GHz band only. Make laptop forget Main Network and configure it to connect to Guest Network. See if it consistently connects to nearby WiFi mesh node.

Repeat same with workstation.

Also, are your laptop and workstation Windows or Apple?

Options