Deco M9 Plus Wireless Backhaul with Wifi-6 capable Main?

2023-11-04 19:57:54
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.6.2

My current setup consists of 3 Deco M9 Plus. Both satellites are connected to the main unit using a wireless connection. Close to the satellites I consistently get 350Mbps download speeds. However, far from one of the satellites the connection is not fast enough. Moreover, I have an increasing number of devices that support Wifi-6 and would like to have support for this at the main node.

I thought I could resolve this in the following manner: add one XE75 as main unit, and move the M9 Plus to a further location to extend the network's reach. I had the impression that as main unit the XE75 should perform better than the M9 Plus.

However, in practice this didn't work. When I put the XE75 as main unit and put my laptop next to a nearby M9 Plus satellite the following happens:

* when my laptop connects to the main XE75 directly, I still get around 350Mbps at this location (the speed the M9 Plus satellite originally also provided)

* when my laptop connects to the satellite M9 Plus, I never get more than around 175Mbps (around half of what it was before)

It is as if the satellite M9 Plus is not able to fully exploit its dedicated wireless backhaul to the XE75. Indeed, when the M9 Plus is the main node, according to the Deco App the satellites are connected using 2.4Ghz/5Ghz_1/5Ghz_2, but when the XE75 is the main node, this is only 2.4Ghz/5GHz. 

I have the impression that 5Ghz_1/5Ghz_2 is necessary to get a full speed wireless backhaul, which the XE75 does not seem to provide. 

Is this correct? Is there any Deco unit with Wifi-6 support that could be used as main unit and that would allow M9 Plus satellites to obtain their maximum speed?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco M9 Plus Wireless Backhaul with Wifi-6 capable Main?
2023-11-04 23:03:28

@belgianuser 

Deco XE75 is tri-band, but it is different tri-band than M9 Plus. Deco XE75 is WiFi6E, which means it can support 6GHz band. Because of that, XE75 three bands are: 2.4GHz/5GHz/6GHz.

Deco M9 Plus three bands are 2.4GHz/5GHz/5GHz. As such M9 and XE75 have just two bands in common: 2.4GHz/5GHz.

When you added XE75 to your Deco mesh as Main Deco, it forced Satellite M9 to become dual band: 2.4GHz/5GHz

If you want tri-band with Wifi-6 support, you will need WiFi6 tri-band Main Deco, not WiFi6E. These are WiFi6 tri-band Deco models: X68, X90 and X95. 

Options
2023-11-04 23:24:19

@Alexandre. Thanks for your answer.

I must say that based on the marketing, this was not obvious to me. Based on the marketing of the Deco M9 Plus I had the impression that a satellite used one 5Ghz as dedicated backhaul with the main unit, and the other 5Ghz to communicate with clients. In that case, it would have only needed one 2.5Ghz and one 5Ghz band at the main ethernet connected unit for full-speed communicaton with the satellite -  in fact, the main unit would not have needed to be tri-band. 

I then also understand correctly that there is no Deco main unit that provides Wifi 6E and allows for full-speed communication with M9 Plus satellites?

Options
2023-11-06 07:48:15

@belgianuser 

Hi, you are right, and all the WiFi 6E Deco currently uses 2.4+5+6GHz as wireless Mesh Backhaul.

There are some WiFi6 Deco, like Deco X95/X90/X75/X68. They are using 2.4+5GHz(1)+5GHz(2) as wireless Mesh Backhaul and would be a better choice as the main Deco with Deco M9 Plus.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 937

Replies: 3

Related Articles