Not getting max speed with Deco M9 Plus

2023-11-09 05:06:55
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.6.2 Build 20230906 Rel. 80158

Hi.

I have a very frustrating problem with my Deco M9 Plus. Previously I have 500mbps Unifi home connection and it got upgraded one month ago to 800mbps by Unifi.

When doing speedtest via cable, I get speedtest results of 400-600 mbps with my Deco M9 Plus. It keeps fluctuating between these two numbers. Very rarely do I see speedtest over 700mbps.

I have tested my new 800mbps connection with other router... I have used Deco M4 and also TMNet Unifi Wifi6 Fiberhome router. Both of these consistently gave me maximum speed of over 800mbps when doing speedtest. My speedtest results is consistently in the 820mbps range.

All of my speedtest results which I got over 800mbps was using cable. 

Thinking there was an issue with my Deco M9 Plus, I brought both units back to Tech Support centre and got warranty replacements for both units.

However, the new units give me the same problem.

Anyone else using the Deco M9 Plus having same problem or have you not noticed before the max connection speed you are getting out of your M9 Plus?

Appreciate any feedback.

TQ.

Andrew

Top 3 results in this speedtest using Deco M9 Plus. The ones below the first 3 are using TMNet Unifi Fibrehome Wifi 6 router.

Options
19 Reply
Re:Not getting max speed with Deco M9 Plus
2023-11-10 06:37:53

@tangyp 

Hi, welcome to the community.

I see you also mentioned using Deco M4, and both Deco M4 and  TMNet Unifi Wifi6 Fiber home router could reach over 800m/s, right?

May I know the current internet connection type? is it PPPOE?

How about "Test Internet Speed" on the Deco APP? How much speed you could get here?

At the same time, please make sure both QOS and UPNP are disabled on the Deco APP.

If possible, please refer to this link to set an other Deco as the main Deco to see whether it made any difference to the speed:

How to Set up the Satellite Deco or a new Deco to be the Main Deco

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
2023-11-10 07:31:01

David-TP wrote

@tangyp 

Hi, welcome to the community.

I see you also mentioned using Deco M4, and both Deco M4 and  TMNet Unifi Wifi6 Fiber home router could reach over 800m/s, right?

May I know the current internet connection type? is it PPPOE?

How about "Test Internet Speed" on the Deco APP? How much speed you could get here?

At the same time, please make sure both QOS and UPNP are disabled on the Deco APP.

If possible, please refer to this link to set an other Deco as the main Deco to see whether it made any difference to the speed:

How to Set up the Satellite Deco or a new Deco to be the Main Deco

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Hi David.

Thanks for getting back to me.

I've tried to email TP-Link tech support, I assume in China.. and that has been frustrating as well. They don't seem to understand my problem and keep asking me to send Speedtest result even though I've sent multiple times. I've given up on them being able to help.

Yes, my connection is PPOE. I'm currently using the TMNet router and my speed detected is consistently about 820mbps. I tried again to use the Deco M9 Plus yesterday and that's when I decided to post in this forum.

I've been running with QOS turned off, and turned it on yesterday to see if it would make any difference. It did not. UPNP is on by default on all the different routers I've used to test my connection. I'm unable to do the speedtest on the Deco app, because I've dismantled the Deco from my network.

My only conclusion is there is something wrong with Deco M9 Plus. Hoping that new firmware can fix this problem. However that will never happen if TP-Link does not acknowledge that there is an issue.

Again, this is Speedtest result I just did using TMNet router. As u can see, without fail, I get over 800mbps every time. I have never gotten this speed with the Deco M9 Plus.

Please do let me know what other information you require from me. Really hope you can help me with this problem as it's quite a waste to have the Deco sitting in the box instead of doing what it should be doing.

Thanks again.

Andrew

Options
2023-11-10 15:09:48 - last edited 2023-11-10 20:55:24

@tangyp 

I am unable to reproduce this issue with my Satellite Deco M9 Plus. My Internet is asymmetrical, gigabit down and 40Mbps up. Deco M9 Plus is hardware V2. Deco mesh runs in AP mode.

Below are results of speed tests from desktop hardwired to Satellite M9 Plus using Ethernet backhaul:

Options
2023-11-11 05:45:13

Alexandre. wrote

@tangyp 

I am unable to reproduce this issue with my Satellite Deco M9 Plus. My Internet is asymmetrical, gigabit down and 40Mbps up. Deco M9 Plus is hardware V2. Deco mesh runs in AP mode.

Below are results of speed tests from desktop hardwired to Satellite M9 Plus using Ethernet backhaul:

Thanks for your feedback. My Deco is connected directly to modem via cable. And my computer to test the speed is also via cable directly to first Deco. I don't know what to say about this. But it is definitely causing an issue for me.

@Alexandre. 

Options
2023-11-11 12:42:42

@tangyp 

Just to clarify: I don't dispute what you see. I was answering your "Anyone else using the Deco M9 Plus having same problem?" In my case, with Deco mesh running in AP mode and M9 Plus hardwired to ISP cable modem/router, I don't see that problem with M9 Plus.

Which could mean, hardware wise M9 Plus is capable of delivering gigabit over its Ethernet ports.

Options
2023-11-13 01:55:25

@tangyp 

Hi, Thanks for the feedback.

As you can see from Alexandre's test, Deco M9 Plus is capable of 1G m/s. So if you would like to spend a little more time, I would like to forward your case to the senior engineers to see if they could help us run further tests and check whether there are any other suggestions.

Please check later whether you could receive my email.

Best regards.

Options
2023-12-01 13:27:44

@tangyp 

I am actually facing the same issue as this. Right after the Unifi speed upgrade, I had some intermittent connectivity issues that led me to continuously test the speed. I have not been able to pass 500Mbps using the TP-Link M9 Deco and contacted TM to check on their end. They eventually came to troubleshoot and could not resolve them using the Deco and left saying that this is a common issue faced by the Deco. I then decide to purchase a TP-Link's Omada router and got that connected and have been consistently getting 800+ Mbps.

Now what's interesting is, I use the M9s as an access point for wireless connectivity and you can already guess what speed I get through it's internal speedtest. When a wired device is connected through the Omada router, I get 800Mbps however with the deco set as an access point and connected through wire to the Omada router still only gets me 500Mbps. Therefore, I'm assuming there's definitely something wrong with the M9s and it's connectivity to TM-Unifi.

Options
2023-12-02 02:35:49

paul61 wrote

@tangyp 

I am actually facing the same issue as this. Right after the Unifi speed upgrade, I had some intermittent connectivity issues that led me to continuously test the speed. I have not been able to pass 500Mbps using the TP-Link M9 Deco and contacted TM to check on their end. They eventually came to troubleshoot and could not resolve them using the Deco and left saying that this is a common issue faced by the Deco. I then decide to purchase a TP-Link's Omada router and got that connected and have been consistently getting 800+ Mbps.

Now what's interesting is, I use the M9s as an access point for wireless connectivity and you can already guess what speed I get through it's internal speedtest. When a wired device is connected through the Omada router, I get 800Mbps however with the deco set as an access point and connected through wire to the Omada router still only gets me 500Mbps. Therefore, I'm assuming there's definitely something wrong with the M9s and it's connectivity to TM-Unifi.

@paul61 

I had scheduled a remote session with a TP Link support staff from Hong Kong. He logged into my system and did some troubleshooting but in the end, even he could not figure out what problem was. I just bit the bullet and bought a new router. No more speed issues and now enjoying the max speed offered by ISP. The M9s have gone into the storage box. Very disappointing. 

Options
2024-04-30 21:49:15

@tangyp I am having the same issue. The maximum download speed I have been able to get using the Deco Test Internet feature on the DECO M9+ is 751 Mbps even though my Internet is 1GB. I get the full 1GB when I connect my laptop directly to the modem.

Options
2024-05-01 01:51:24

@repg 

I recently took out my M9 Plus out of storage and set them up again hoping whatever problem I had, had been fixed with a firmware upgrade.

They have gone back into storage. That should tell you what happened. LOL

So now it seems I'm not the only person facing this problem, however to TPLink it isn't a problem, hence no urgency to find a solution for this.

Because of this reason I am afraid to buy another set of TPLink mesh routers, worried they have the same issue.

Oh well... 

repg wrote

@tangyp I am having the same issue. The maximum download speed I have been able to get using the Deco Test Internet feature on the DECO M9+ is 751 Mbps even though my Internet is 1GB. I get the full 1GB when I connect my laptop directly to the modem.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 2190

Replies: 19

Related Articles