Is it possible to combine Archer C6 and EAP230 as access points?

2023-11-21 07:20:44 - last edited 2023-11-23 02:03:24
Model: EAP230-Wall  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have a house with a cellar, two upper floors and an attic. I operate one Archer C6 in router mode in cellar and two Archer C6 for both upper floors configured in access point mode. That works just fine. I have seamless connection when I go up and down. It's always "roaming" seamlessly.

Now, I want to install the wall-mount EAP230 in the attic to operate it just as Archer C6's. But I can't get it work properly in access point mode. When I install it, I only get the option to configure a new Wifi network. I configure it with the same SSID and password but it doesn't "co-operate" with other C6s. I doesn't roam properly as it works with both C6s in the both upper floors. Either I can connect to the wifi network in both upper floors (which are working fine together) or to the EAP230 in the attic. When I go up and down, I lose the connection and need to reconnect.

What am I doing wrong? Is it possible at all that both product lines are working together as access points???

See the installation plan below:

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Is it possible to combine Archer C6 and EAP230 as access points?-Solution
2023-11-22 13:56:20 - last edited 2023-11-23 02:03:24

@Caniko 

You can manually rig it... but it wont be perfect.  Like Virgo said, the Fast Roaming Protocol will not work between the router and the APs themselves.

But you can configure the same SSID for the router (both bands) and the APs.  Set your Mini Rssi on the APs, so the APs will manually boot off the low signal clients.  Then the Clients will roam what ever is closer... the other APs and or the router SSID.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Is it possible to combine Archer C6 and EAP230 as access points?
2023-11-22 09:46:59

@Caniko 

Hey, EAP has the different roaming system from router's, they can not achieve the seamless roaming together, they are the different system and mechinsm.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
Re:Is it possible to combine Archer C6 and EAP230 as access points?-Solution
2023-11-22 13:56:20 - last edited 2023-11-23 02:03:24

@Caniko 

You can manually rig it... but it wont be perfect.  Like Virgo said, the Fast Roaming Protocol will not work between the router and the APs themselves.

But you can configure the same SSID for the router (both bands) and the APs.  Set your Mini Rssi on the APs, so the APs will manually boot off the low signal clients.  Then the Clients will roam what ever is closer... the other APs and or the router SSID.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Is it possible to combine Archer C6 and EAP230 as access points?
2023-11-22 14:12:58

@Caniko 

I've never been happy with the result of mixing vendors or product lines and consequently I have a box full of perfectly good kit banished for not playing nice with the other kids.

Any hope of just getting another C6?

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options