Archer T4U v5 gets only half download speed of what's available

2023-11-22 12:53:22 - last edited 2023-11-27 21:54:14
Model: Archer T4UH  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version:

I get only half download speed of what's available. I've checked the connection with ethernet cable. I can take 900-1000mbit however when I use the T4U I can only take 250-300 Mbit. I also tried with from my laptop at the same spot , I 'm able to take 700-800Mbits. How can the speed that like in my laptops?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Archer T4U v5 gets only half download speed of what's available-Solution
2023-11-22 21:26:52 - last edited 2023-11-27 21:54:14

@particle 

Sometimes these USB Wi-Fi adapters don't switch to SuperSpeed mode even if they are plugged into an USB 3.x socket. However, this is not obvious and can only be determined by using separate software.

400 Mbps means the T4U is now definitely running in SuperSpeed mode.

While 400 Mbps is not great for an Archer T4U, it is also not too bad either.

The achievable speed depends a lot on the distance between Wi-Fi router and Wi-Fi adapter and how "crowded" the Wi-Fi channels in your neighborhood are. You could try different channels on your Wi-Fi router and check if your results improve.

To give you some reference I've attached two screenshots of iPerf data throughput results of another Wi-Fi adapter that uses the same RTL8812 chip as the Archer T4U. The results are an average over a period of one minute (you can see the command I used at the bottom of each screenshot). The distance between the Wi-Fi router and the laptop with the USB Wi-Fi adapter was about 2 meters and a Wi-Fi Scanner shows me that there are a few other wireless networks from my neighbors utilizing the same channels.

Upload: 473 Mbps

Download: 446 Mbps

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Archer T4U v5 gets only half download speed of what's available
2023-11-22 13:18:55

@particle 

Hi,

There could be a few reasons, but given the numbers 250-300 Mbit your T4U might be running in USB 2.0 mode, thus limiting it to that speed.

So I suggest you verify whether the T4U is actually using USB 3.x (SuperSpeed) mode or if it's stuck in USB 2.0 (HighSpeed) mode.

Options
2023-11-22 13:44:28

@woozle thank you for response. It was already on USB 3.0 socket but I change to another 3.0. It goes to 400Mbits now. However its still low.

Options
Re:Archer T4U v5 gets only half download speed of what's available-Solution
2023-11-22 21:26:52 - last edited 2023-11-27 21:54:14

@particle 

Sometimes these USB Wi-Fi adapters don't switch to SuperSpeed mode even if they are plugged into an USB 3.x socket. However, this is not obvious and can only be determined by using separate software.

400 Mbps means the T4U is now definitely running in SuperSpeed mode.

While 400 Mbps is not great for an Archer T4U, it is also not too bad either.

The achievable speed depends a lot on the distance between Wi-Fi router and Wi-Fi adapter and how "crowded" the Wi-Fi channels in your neighborhood are. You could try different channels on your Wi-Fi router and check if your results improve.

To give you some reference I've attached two screenshots of iPerf data throughput results of another Wi-Fi adapter that uses the same RTL8812 chip as the Archer T4U. The results are an average over a period of one minute (you can see the command I used at the bottom of each screenshot). The distance between the Wi-Fi router and the laptop with the USB Wi-Fi adapter was about 2 meters and a Wi-Fi Scanner shows me that there are a few other wireless networks from my neighbors utilizing the same channels.

Upload: 473 Mbps

Download: 446 Mbps

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-11-27 21:54:07 - last edited 2023-11-27 21:54:53

@woozle Thank you for your precious explanation. I've tried change channels that makes a little more difference. I will take what I can take. 

Options