Deco X50 keeps losing internet connection

2023-11-29 08:37:20
Model: Deco X50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Latest as at Nov 2023

I have a two node Deco x50 and the internet constantly just drops, then a short while later it connects again... on most of the attached devices both wifi and hardwired. Both Deco's lights are green and the app shows connected during this period. I also have about 8 hard wired devices and around 30 WiFi devices that cannot communicate with each other when this happens. I have reverted to my old non-Mesh setup (Also TP-Link) as the Decos are just not useable as I work from home and need internet connectivity without interruptions for Teams calls. I am very disapointed in Deco Mesh technology.

I also have this issue WAN/LAN auto-sensing - Home Network Community (tp-link.com) ie if Internet is interrupted for even a very short while the entire LAN fails. DHCP Fails and DNS fails and default route Fails. This is unacceptable I would like to dedicate one port to WAN and rest to function as LAN switch so if Internet is down rest of network can still function.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco X50 keeps losing internet connection
2023-11-30 07:40:40

@ThomasMockridge 

Hi, May I know the model number of the TP-Link non-mesh router?

Is the satellite X50 wireless connected to the main node? Or Can I have a picture of your network topology to display how these 8 wired clients connected to Deco X50?

As for the WAN/LAN Auto-sensing, with the latest 1.3.1 firmware, as long as the physical connection between the main X50 and ISP modem remained unchanged/both devices powered up, the WAN port will not change.

Could you please help me run a simple test:

connect the old TP-Link non-Mesh between the ISP modem and Deco X50, like:

Internet--modem--old TP-link non-Mesh router(with WiFi disabled)---Deco X50

Then please help check whether the disconnection repeats, especially on the wired devices.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2023-12-01 06:35:18

@David-TP 

Thank you for the prompt reply. I bought the X50 Deco's to have a simple, reliable, mesh network.

I would really like to resolve this issue as when the Deco's work, they work really well. I would like to connect Deco as such:

Fibre->PON->(ethernet) -> X50 primary (ethernet) -> 10 port dumb TP-Link Ethernet switch (ethernet) -> 6 wired ethernet connections one with a second 10 port unmanged switch, another wired backhaul to my second X50 -> ethernet to second office PC connected through the X50.

Additionally I have about 30 Home automation devices/TV/Amp/Phones/cameras etc connected via WiFi. Mixed WiFi versions from 2.4 to wifi6 The Decos have a wired backhaul but it seems unreliable through the dumb ethernet switch. It switches to WiFi backhaul on occasion I run a lot of automated jobs over the network and it seems the devices can not see each other at certain times. It is annoying when devices just disappear off the Deco network. I do not have this issue on my old network. I suspect it may be related to the Deco doing network optimisation, or on old firmware trying to re-connect to PON, but this is only my theory. It seems DHCP/DNS also fail at this time.

I would prefer to connect the Deco in router mode directly to the PON and eliminate all other routers, but this has proved remarkably unstable.

So I connected my original ZYXEL EMG3525-T50B (Disabled the WiFi) to the PON as router then ethernet to one Deco in Access Point mode. The rest of the ethernet connections plugged direct into the ZYXEL. This too proved unreliable, wifi devices just could not connect to internet at times. Currently I have reverted to my ZYXEL as router and Wifi (Supplied by my ISP with their custom firmware) and my TP-Link Archer C20 as wifi access network extender for the devices out of reach of primary wifi. Decos in cupboard...

I do also have an old TP-Link TL-WA855RE as network extender over WiFi for some security cameras but I only include this for info as I have not changed that part of the network at all.

We do live in South Africa and electrical power is unreliable and power cycles are a part of daily life, not sure if this adds to the issue.

Currently the Deco is flashing blue and I cannot connect to it at all, as App will not let me log in when connected to the Deco Wifi i cannot get any info out of the Deco.

Options
2023-12-06 07:02:58

I have given up - I cannot use these Deco's for mesh WiFi. I will try again when there is a better/more reliable  firmware. My old router at least works, but no Mesh.

Options