? M% not working well with Fritz!Box

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-11-29 20:27:29
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have recently changed my home broadband to Zen and been given a Fritz!Box router. It actually seemed less powerful than my previous one and so I have bought the  AC1300 TP-link Deco M5 Whole Home Mesh Wi Fi system to extend it. Seemed to be working OK for a day but now we are repeatedly being dropped from the wifi on our devices and having to re-enter the router password. Having unplugged all the mesh units I am back to the rather week wifi from the Fritz!Box but at least it seems to work. Any idea what is going on?

Options
4 Reply
Re:? M% not working well with Fritz!Box
2023-11-30 07:48:04

@ed111 

Hi, welcome to the community.

When I checked on your TP-Link Email ID, I see your firmware is still 1.6.2 and please try to manually update the firmware to 1.7.3 first:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/deco-m5/#Firmware

" now we are repeatedly being dropped from the wifi on our devices and having to re-enter the router password", would this issue appear more frequently on certain mobile devices? If yes, can I have their model numbers?

With 1.7.3 firmware, Deco M5 supports IOT network.

Could you please help me run a simple test:

1. Turn off 2.4GHz on the main network and leave 5Ghz only.

2. Enable 2.4Ghz only IOT network.

Then please help me check whether the disconnection would be more obvious on certain band.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2023-11-30 16:54:58

@ed111 When using the Deco mesh, did you disable the wifi of the Fritz!Box router?  Or, at a minimum, use another name for the router wifi and the Deco wifi?

Options
2023-12-02 20:30:20

@ed111 

Hi thanks both

In fact I think @yves_b spotted the issue. I had left the WiFi on the router on and I had given the Deco network the same name as the home network. Now I can see why this would create problems though I don't think those points are mentioned in the manual or the set-up process on the app. Might be worth including or am I the only one to make this mistake?

Options
2023-12-02 22:17:26

@ed111 I believe it is a common "mistake", given that, for other wifi devices, it is sometimes recommended to configure several devices with the same wifi name.
I suggest documenting that in some troubleshooting guide.  I did not verifiy if it was already documented.

Options