Internet Connection broken when VPN Client is enabled

2023-12-06 17:30:05 - last edited 2023-12-07 18:37:26
Model: Archer AX6000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.2 Build 20230906 rel.52143(4555)

Hi everybody,

I couldn't find anything in the FAQ or any related topic to that.

I have a problem currently for my environment. I've created and configured a OpenVPN Server on my Archer AX6000.

In order to be able to connect from outside of my local network, I also needed to add the machines as clients, as it is shown in my screenshot below.

However, as soon as I toggle the VPN client to "Enable" the Internet connection on those devices stops working, when they are in the local network.

When I enable the VPN client the connection is working on the configured devices as intended when I'm connected via an external network. If i disable the client again, the VPN stops working, but internet access in the local network will be working again.

I tried to evaluate what happens, but I can't figure it out. In the broken-internet-connection-state the device is able to ping the router, but the DNS server (a pihole locally, or alternatively the google DNS) can't be reached anymore

I can't belive that there is a configuration mistake somewhere, but maybe I'm missing something. Help is very much appreciated.

Here are the screenshots that I think are relevant for my config:

(erased names and mac adresses due to privacy concerns)

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Internet Connection broken when VPN Client is enabled-Solution
2023-12-07 06:57:20 - last edited 2023-12-07 18:37:26

@KinlPT123 

Hi, I am kind of confused, you have enabled both OpenVPN Server and also OpenVPN Client on the same AX6000 Router?

May I know if the OpenVPN Client on AX6000 is connected to its own OpenVPN Server or any other different OpenVPN Server?

It you would like your client devices connect to the OpenVPN Server of AX6000 router from external network, there is no need to enable OpenVPN Client on the AX6000 itself, a OpenVPN Server is enough, as the OpenVPN Client feature is used to connect remote VPN Server usually.

So please disable OpenVPN Client on the AX6000, then check if your client device will still be able to connect the VPN Server from external network, if it doesn't work, please check Internet IPv4 address on the AX6000 router to see if it is a public IP or private IP.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Internet Connection broken when VPN Client is enabled-Solution
2023-12-07 06:57:20 - last edited 2023-12-07 18:37:26

@KinlPT123 

Hi, I am kind of confused, you have enabled both OpenVPN Server and also OpenVPN Client on the same AX6000 Router?

May I know if the OpenVPN Client on AX6000 is connected to its own OpenVPN Server or any other different OpenVPN Server?

It you would like your client devices connect to the OpenVPN Server of AX6000 router from external network, there is no need to enable OpenVPN Client on the AX6000 itself, a OpenVPN Server is enough, as the OpenVPN Client feature is used to connect remote VPN Server usually.

So please disable OpenVPN Client on the AX6000, then check if your client device will still be able to connect the VPN Server from external network, if it doesn't work, please check Internet IPv4 address on the AX6000 router to see if it is a public IP or private IP.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Internet Connection broken when VPN Client is enabled
2023-12-07 18:36:49 - last edited 2023-12-07 18:37:18

@Sunshine Hi and thank you for your reply.

The description in the UI definitely got me confused, because it says "Set up profiles for clients that will use the VPN function."

Since my original attempt to set things up (where I only activated the server) failed, I started to look around and thought that I might need to register the potential clients in that UI.

In hindsight I feel a bit stupid, but I can also advice to make much clearer descriptions in the UI.

Anyway. I've disabled the VPN Client now. Now the VPN connection works well on my devices. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what the original problem was that made me try enabling VPN Client. 

This can be closed. Thank you. I hope at least other confused users will stuble upon this when they try to enable the VPN Client as well, even though they only want to run a VPN Server.

Options
Re:Internet Connection broken when VPN Client is enabled
2023-12-08 01:40:13

@KinlPT123 

Thank you very much for the feedback, and we will have a look and try to make it clearer on the UI to avoid the confusion.

Hope you could enjoy the internet with our products.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 310

Replies: 3

Related Articles