Connection preferences feature does not work

2023-12-11 02:00:48 - last edited 2023-12-12 03:17:50
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: V1.7.3

My network layout is a straight line

Main router and deco at the living room - - - follow by study room and lastly along the hallway my bedroom

The bedroom keeps connecting to the weak living room for some reason. As soon as I use the connection preferences feature to connect the study room ( which is the strongest signal to my bedroom) the bedroom deco just went dead and blink red. And I have to reset the deco again. What is going on tplink. How can you guys screw this up so badly

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Connection preferences feature does not work-Solution
2023-12-11 09:06:56 - last edited 2023-12-12 03:17:50

@David-TP 

Is there a possibilty of a faulty deco? 

Seems like your firmware might have break the connection preferences for one of my deco. 

After I swap my main bedroom to my study room, I'm able to connection preferences to my study room

Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:Connection preferences feature does not work
2023-12-11 02:40:06

@Lousydeco 

Hi, welcome to the community.

Since satellite Deco M9 plus units work the same, could you please help me run a simple test:

1. Switch the location of Study Deco and Bedroom Deco.

2. Then check whether the new"Bedroom" Deco still connects to the living room Deco.

3. If it was, please try to set the connection preference again to see whether the "bedroom" Deco went to solid red again.

4. Then please restart the whole Deco system once and check whether all Deco can go back to solid green.

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Options
2023-12-11 04:09:44

@David-TP 

Tried that still does not work

I swap the decos and restarted. 

The main reason is one of my rooms does not have ethernet port to be use at internet backhaul. Hence I'm trying my best to make sure that room has the best internet as possible by selecting the closest and best wireless deco choice. 

Below is the screenshot of my bedroom router. The main router signal strength is weak. If I close my door it becomes weaker. If i set connection preferences to my study, then it disconnected immediately and blinks red

Options
2023-12-11 04:11:03

@Lousydeco 

With preference connection im trying to connect my study which is the strongest. But your deco just won't let me use it. 

Options
2023-12-11 07:12:31

@Lousydeco 

Hi, Can I also have a picture of the network map on the Deco App?

Could you please leave me a message with your TP-Link email ID for Deco?

I wonder whether it might be somehow related to the Ethernet Backhaul on the Study Deco. If it was, I think you might have the same issue when setting "Main Bedroom" as the signal source.

Would you mind helping run this test to see whether we could reproduce the same issue?

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
2023-12-11 07:36:22

@David-TP 

Here is my network map

Options
2023-12-11 07:47:14

@David-TP surpisingly, connecting to the other deco (main bedroom) shows no issue. Issue only happens when conencting to the Study room deco

Options
Re:Connection preferences feature does not work-Solution
2023-12-11 09:06:56 - last edited 2023-12-12 03:17:50

@David-TP 

Is there a possibilty of a faulty deco? 

Seems like your firmware might have break the connection preferences for one of my deco. 

After I swap my main bedroom to my study room, I'm able to connection preferences to my study room

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-12-12 03:22:56

@Lousydeco 

Thank you very much for the message and update laugh.

Sometimes there are some issues which can not be properly explained, like the previous issue we were going through.

I don't think it is a hardware or firmware issue. It is suggested to monitor the Deco performance for while.

Thanks again and best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 374

Replies: 8

Related Articles