Problem with connecting to vpn

2023-12-15 18:45:18 - last edited 2023-12-19 01:54:38
Tags: #VPN
Model: Archer MR400  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version:

I want to connect to the computer in my office. There is an MR400 router installed there with a SIM card and a 4G connection.
A computer and an Elegoo 3D printer are connected to the router.
I need to connect to the printer via IP.
I read that I need to create a VPN connection to the office.
I've tried various settings but I can't connect.
I have a computer with Windows 10 at home.

I tried to set IPSec VPN as in the screenshot, but Windows shows the following information:

The L2TP connection attempt failed because the security layer encountered a processing error during the initial negotiations with the remote computer.

Turning off the firewall doesn't help.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Problem with connecting to vpn -Solution
2023-12-18 10:31:28 - last edited 2023-12-19 01:54:38

@MariuszS 

Hi, you would like to connect a computer at home to VPN server on MR400 which is in the office, right?

Please check Internet IPv4 address on your MR400 in the office to see if it is a public IP or not, if not, it means the MR400 is behind a CGNAT of your ISP which causes your VPN not working, in that case, you will need to contact the ISP to see if they could assign you a public IP address.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Problem with connecting to vpn -Solution
2023-12-18 10:31:28 - last edited 2023-12-19 01:54:38

@MariuszS 

Hi, you would like to connect a computer at home to VPN server on MR400 which is in the office, right?

Please check Internet IPv4 address on your MR400 in the office to see if it is a public IP or not, if not, it means the MR400 is behind a CGNAT of your ISP which causes your VPN not working, in that case, you will need to contact the ISP to see if they could assign you a public IP address.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Problem with connecting to vpn
2023-12-18 12:09:02

@Sunshine Unfortunately, the current ISP does not have such a service.
Is it possible to bypass this using TP-Link DDNS?

Options
2023-12-19 01:54:30

MariuszS wrote

@Sunshine Unfortunately, the current ISP does not have such a service.
Is it possible to bypass this using TP-Link DDNS?

@MariuszS 

I am afraid not, DDNS is used to bind a fixed domain name to dynamic public IP address, it cannot fix the CGNAT issue.

Options
2023-12-21 13:59:23

Temporarily disable the Windows Firewall to see if it is causing the issue. If disabling the firewall allows the connection, you may need to create an exception for the VPN traffic. Some third-party antivirus or firewall software may interfere with VPN connections. Temporarily disable any such software to test the connection. Ensure that the necessary ports for L2TP/IPSec VPN are forwarded on your office router. Typically, this involves forwarding UDP ports 500, 4500, and the IP protocol 50 (ESP). Check the logs on your Archer MR400 router for any information about failed VPN connection attempts. This can help identify the source of the issue. Ensure that your home internet connection is stable and has a public IP address. Some ISPs provide private IP addresses that might interfere with VPN connections. If L2TP/IPSec continues to be problematic, consider trying other VPN protocols such as OpenVPN or IKEv2.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 385

Replies: 4

Tags

Related Articles