TPplc shows 600mpbs powerline rate, PC won't go above 200

2023-12-27 12:26:19 - last edited 2024-01-04 11:58:45
Model: TL-PA7020P KITx  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 3.2.4_702112_170628_902

So i recently got a new provider with a 1gigabit plan. 

I have always used the above mentioned kit which is gigabit compatible. 

My network topology is as follows:

Downstairs Utility Closet Gigabit modem -> Cat5e Cable  -> Powerline Adapter in wall socket.
Upstairs Gameroom Wall socket -> Powerline Adapter -> Cat5e Cable -> PC.

I have the network utility installed and both my powerline adapters show up. They also show about a 600mbps powerline connectivity rate.

Whatever speedtest i run i cannot get it to go over 200mbps. I tried running a cable directly from my modem to my pc and it speedtests at over 900 mpbs so that rules out the settings for the network card.

I have also replaced both Cat5e cables with newer ones, with the same result. Also tried Cat6, same result. Cables do not seem to be the issue.

All of this leads me to believe the issue lies in my power lines, but it's strange the adapters would show a 600mpbs connectivity in that case.

I'm at a loss

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:TPplc shows 600mpbs powerline rate, PC won't go above 200-Solution
2023-12-27 17:02:12 - last edited 2024-01-04 11:58:45

@Nossah 

Hi,

The "Powerline Rate" is likely a calculation based on the carrier frequencies and the modulation schemes that have been negotiated between two Powerline adapters. The Powerline adapters do not actually perform a data throughput test like, for example, Ookla Speedtest does to come up with that Mbps value.

A Powerline adapter might actually send out the data into the electrical circuit at the speed of the Powerline Rate, but electrical noise and other detrimental factors on the electrical wiring render a lot of the data to become unintelligible to the receiving Powerline adapter, necessitating the affected pieces of data to be sent again. (retransmission)

Honestly, 200 Mbps can be considered a really good performance for these kind of Powerline adapters. Most users of Powerline adapters end up with actual speeds lower than 200 Mbps.

There is also a TP-Link Q&A about the relation between Powerline Rate and actual speed. https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2928/

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:TPplc shows 600mpbs powerline rate, PC won't go above 200-Solution
2023-12-27 17:02:12 - last edited 2024-01-04 11:58:45

@Nossah 

Hi,

The "Powerline Rate" is likely a calculation based on the carrier frequencies and the modulation schemes that have been negotiated between two Powerline adapters. The Powerline adapters do not actually perform a data throughput test like, for example, Ookla Speedtest does to come up with that Mbps value.

A Powerline adapter might actually send out the data into the electrical circuit at the speed of the Powerline Rate, but electrical noise and other detrimental factors on the electrical wiring render a lot of the data to become unintelligible to the receiving Powerline adapter, necessitating the affected pieces of data to be sent again. (retransmission)

Honestly, 200 Mbps can be considered a really good performance for these kind of Powerline adapters. Most users of Powerline adapters end up with actual speeds lower than 200 Mbps.

There is also a TP-Link Q&A about the relation between Powerline Rate and actual speed. https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2928/

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:TPplc shows 600mpbs powerline rate, PC won't go above 200
2024-01-02 17:43:03
Hello, This was pretty much the answer i was expecting. Though not the one i was hoping for. I wasn't expecting to get the full 1gbit but was hoping i'd be able to reach 5 or 600 somehow. Guess i'll have to purseu other methods, though im really not looking forward to running cable in my home. I live in europe and we have concrete floors and brickwork walls.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 191

Replies: 2

Related Articles