Using multiple APs directly connected to router

2023-12-27 12:49:43
Model: Deco XE75 Pro  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: ?

I'm in the process of setting up my home system, which has just been switched over to FTTP. Since my new service provider has supplied their own fibre/ethernet modem, I am using my existing TP-Link VR2600 in "router only" mode. Ideally, I want to use the Deco XE75 units in AP mode, but with two of them wired directly to the router (the cat7 cable was already installed). However, on the TP-Link support page "How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode", the (second) diagram only shows the units daisy-chained. Does anyone know if it's possible to configure the Deco units so that two of them are wired direct to the router; I may at a later date add another unit, daisy-chained to either of the directly linked units, if I find that I still have signal dead spots.

Any help or advice most gratefully accepted.

Jeff.

Options
9 Reply
Re:Using multiple APs directly connected to router
2023-12-27 12:58:15 - last edited 2023-12-27 12:58:40

@Jeff1005 

I have three Deco units directly connected to the router, if that helps. Yes, you can definitely do that with Deco mesh running in AP mode.

See this document: General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

While not everything is spelled there clearly, this statement I lifted from the document is relevant to what you ask: "When the Deco is set to work under Access Point mode, you can wire satellite Deco to any Deco unit or the main modem/router."

Options
2023-12-27 13:12:14

@Alexandre. Thank you for replying to my query so quickly. The fact that you are using all three of your Deco units directly wired to your router is most encouraging. After the first one was set up, did you have to configure the other two into AP mode, or did they auto-configure? If individual setting up is required, did you treat each unit as though it was un-configured, setting up the AP mode from scratch, or is there a simpler technique?

Regards, Jeff.

Options
2023-12-27 13:22:01 - last edited 2023-12-27 13:22:52

@Jeff1005 

All Deco units added to Deco mesh in Deco app will run as a single WiFi mesh. They all will follow same configuration settings you made, such as SSID/password. You do not need to configure units individually, just have them added to Deco mesh.

After getting your Deco set, you start with first Deco unit that will be Main Deco. Connect it to router by Ethernet cable, power Deco unit on, follow guide to configure it. After successful configuration of Main Deco, place other units from the set near Main Deco, DO NOT hardwire them, power them on.

According to TP-Link, XE-series Decos from the same set will automatically join Deco mesh within two minutes, but if not - add them by following this document: How to add an additional unit to your Deco network

After having all Deco units appear in Deco app and shown as online and healthy, configure Deco mesh to run in Access Point mode.

Only after that you can now hardwire Satellite Decos to router.

Options
2023-12-27 13:39:29

@Jeff1005 

One more thing. Deco XE75 Pro units have one 2.5Gbps Ethernet port and two gigabit ports. There is also similar model XE75 (no "Pro" in model name) with same specs but all three Ethernet ports are gigabit.

Your TP-Link VR2600 router has gigabit Ethernet ports, which means it is unlikely you'll benefit from 2.5Gbps Ethernet port on Deco unit. Check prices for XE75 and if they are less than XE75 Pro, just go with XE75.

Options
2023-12-27 14:33:13
Thanks for all the info. I have the XE75 Pro as, at the time of purchasing - about 3 weeks ago - there was a great deal on the Pro, but no deals on the XE75. Consequently, the Pro worked out much cheaper than the not-Pro. I have already configured the first Deco unit, which is working fine, so it just remains for me to set up the second one, as per your advice. I really appreciate all the time you have taken to ensure that I don't create major problems for myself.
Options
2023-12-27 15:58:20 - last edited 2023-12-27 16:01:27

@Alexandre. 

No, this is not true.

When you connect multiple deco units in parallel with the main deco, you will create a loop in the network even when used in accesspoint mode

I don't know why this is being keeping being told it's possible.

Even a managed switch like the tl-sg2008 cannot prevent the loop that's created.

Looks like even these business switches do not support the ieee1905.1 protocol.

Why don't just stop the wifi connection to other deco units when it's connected via ethernet?

To test this, just wire a second deco in parallel to the main deco.

Check how much data the deco's are using now, even when idle it will be very high..

Options
2023-12-27 16:12:59 - last edited 2023-12-27 16:16:22

@Justaskme 

On screenshot below from my Deco app, Main Deco and two Satellite Deco units that listed as using Ethernet are connected to ISP router. Two Satellites connect directly, Main Deco goes through the unmanaged 8-port gigabit switch (TEG-S80g) which is connected to the router.

I've been running this setup for about 3 years now. In that time, my ISP upgraded their cable (coax) router with different brand and model, both work just fine as far as I can tell. Speed tests show 930Mbps on PC over wired link through Satellite Deco to ISP router, which is consistent with gigabit Internet I have.

PC<--Ethernet-->Satellite Deco (Office)<--Ethernet-->ISP Router (Technicolor CGM4331COM)

Can you be more specific in explaining what issues I am supposed to see in my home network, with that setup?

Options
2023-12-27 16:22:38
Looks like you have a modem that does support the 1905.1 protocol However, here in the Netherlands, no isp modem supports this and loops will be created. If i try this with my X50 deco on either my fiber modem or on a switch behind this , the main network keeps working ok, but everything that connects through the Deco has serious problems. Like accessing my home server which is directly connected to the modem. The ping time goes from the normal 2 to 3 ms to over 4000 ms. (Which goes back to normal once the other deco's are unplugged....) Hq does know about this issue but keeps insisting it will work just fine,which clearly is not the case on most modems.
Options
2023-12-27 16:48:48
Thought I'd jump in quickly here to say that I followed Alexandre's instructions and I now have both Deco units running in AP mode and delivering approx. 750 Mb/s up and down, as measured on Ookla Speedtest. Bearing in mind that I have smart TVs, a number of FireStiks, smartphones, laptops, a 32TB NAS and eight security cameras all on my 1Gb/s service, I reckon that the Deco units are doing their job very nicely ;-)
Options