WiFi Instability

WiFi Instability

WiFi Instability
WiFi Instability
2023-12-27 17:20:21
Model: Archer VR2100  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Firmware Version:1.6.0 0.9.1 v009e.0 Build 220518 Rel.41627n

I recently replaced a VR600/AC1600 with a new Archer VR2100 and I am now experiencing instability on the wireless link.  At higher signal strengths this is not a problem.  However I have been used to the VR600 working reliably in our upstairs bedrooms.  With the VR2100 router both my Laptop and my Android data-pad the 2.4GHz channel connects significantly more slowly than to the old VR600.  If I leave either of these clients running for maybe 10 or 20 minutes the 2.4 GHz link is dropped in favour of the 5GHz link even though the 5GHz link hardly connects.  The router shows 7.4 db Margin on the downlink and 6.2 dB on the uplink

My nearest neighbour is at least 60 metres from my house and usually I can't even detect a signal from any of their routers.  Occasionally I can detect signals from local buses that pass the end of my property, but the signal is very poor.  The Android WiFi Analyzer shows a signal level of somewhere around -70 to -75 dBm for the 2.4 GHz signal and something below -80 dBm for the 5 GHz signal.  

As a mitigation for the poor WiFi stability I have turned off the 5GHz wireless,  This gives more reliable wireless access, but it still drops outs several times per hour.  However it usually reconnects afer a few moments. 

I guess I could install a repeater which hopefully would give me a better signal strength, but I never needed one for the old VR600/AC1600 based system.  The overall propagation distance between the router and my working space is less than 6 mteres and there is only a wooden floor and a lath/plaster wall to block the signal. 

Options
3 Reply
Re:WiFi Instability
2023-12-27 23:22:46

@Timbo27 

Here are some general advises on how to position your router for optimal reception and performance that you could use.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2023-12-28 12:20:19

@terziyski 

This is not very helpful, I'm afraid.  However, it did prompt me to turn the unit around so the antennae are above the outside of the shelf, rather than towards the internal wall.  I don't think this has made any significant difference, however. 

One other thing I have noticed is that if I turn the 5GHz transmission OFF the 2.4 GHz band performs better, in that I get fewer dropouts.  However, even though I turned the 5GHz band OFF my Android WiFi Analyzer shows that the 5G hidden network is still transmitting.  Surely, this should be turned off to avoid 'confusing' the clients WiFi receiver?  

Options
2023-12-28 14:30:33

@Timbo27 

The hidden network you mentioned is probably the Onemesh hidden network - you should have a Onemesh switch in the router WebGUI to turn that feature off - you would use that only if you have a Onemesh/Easymesh compatible range extenders in your network.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 258

Replies: 3

Related Articles