Wireless clients show up as wired

2023-12-31 15:40:21
Model: Archer AX95  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.4 Build 20230620 rel.40495(4555)

Hi,

I have an Archer AX-95 set up as an OneMesh ( 2 x RE700X)  and often wireless clients would show up as "wired" in the client list. I have no actual wired devices in my network configuration

Is that a known problem? I saw a post here in the forum for a different model from July 2023 but there's no answer --.https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/613866

Options
12 Reply
Re:Wireless clients show up as wired
2024-01-01 07:52:18

@Bmca 

I think its a normal problem so to say. 

I have 3x ax72 

1x main 

2x in Ap mode, 

I have non wired devices show up in my tether app on my main ax72 as only wireless devices as they are wired even though they can be only wireless like Smart bulbs, smart plugs and even tp link cameras that are wifi only 🤷🏼‍♂️

I think its a glitch in the system. 

If i was to open my  ax72 in Ap mode in tether app, 

it recognises most  things on my whole network as wired but mainly the things that are connected to the other ax72's,

It does however show me that there are  devices that are connected to those ax72 in AP mode that are connected via wifi 

so maybe it sees the connected devices that are wired because they are connected to the other units that in my case are hard wired ?

Options
2024-01-02 09:02:57

@Bmca 

Please check if the wireless client devices that are detected as wired devices are connected to the RE700X or connected to AX95 Router directly.

And the two RE700X are connected wirelessly to the AX95, right? 

Please try refresh the client list to see if it can be detected correctly, if not, please share with us screenshots of the client list to show the issue.

If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2024-01-02 14:17:22

@Sunshine 

the two RE700X are connected wirelessly to the AX95.

enclosing screenshot where a device is showing incorrectly as a wired connected. ( this device is not attached to either of the 2 x RE700X's,.

Options
2024-01-03 01:09:52

@Bmca 

Hi, what is the version of your Tether App? please login the web interface of the router and check if the same wireless client is detected as wired device on web interface or not.

If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2024-01-03 15:54:40

@Sunshine 

HI, 

my version of the Tether App is 4.3.28.

the first screenshot below is from the Tether App, incorrectly showing that "Brendan-Galaxy-A3-2016" ( ip  192.168.0.154) is wired. and the second screenshot is from the web interface showing that the device is connected to the 2.4GHz band.

Tether App screenshot :-

Web interface screenshot.

Options
2024-01-03 17:14:07

@Bmca 

Hi,

Just a suggestion but I would check the MAC addies of those devices that are showing wrong incase you may have miss-labelled them when renaming them.

It could be that you've named your mesh devices as other peoples devices in the families devices & vice versa.

Or another thing that might be able to happen is when you select random MAC adresses in things like Windows, phones etc that change daily they maybe selecting the same addies that are already on your network previously, a scenario of this would be a named device may appear today as (example AB:CD:12:34:Z9:OO) but then pop up a few days later as an un-named device, and a million to one chance the random addie matches one already assigned.

Also ask those who own the devices if they are cloning a MAC addies on them as well, stranger things, good luck.

Options
2024-01-04 23:07:17 - last edited 2024-01-04 23:24:59

@Bogle 

In my case 

If I log into my main Ax72 I've labeled all my devices by their mac/ip address. 

I went the extra mile in my house by running ethernet around my house to all main rooms,

Living room(6 ports) and all bedrooms (4 ports each) 

What I obviously noticed when i added my devices to my router is most devices have 2 mac/ip adresss (xbox,laptops ect) dependening on the way I connected them to my network by wireless or wired so I had to find the ip addresses for each device wired or wireless and name them accordingly

Say my sons ps4 for example  ( Jamie ps4 wired and Jamie ps4 wifi)

and this is important to pay attention to if you have kids and you have set up the time restriction stuff for your kids devices as they can get around the internet cut off if you haven't added both ip addresses to that kids profile for that device, 

Say you set up their device ( xbox wifi ) but its registered on the network as wireless and the homesheild has blocked it a 9pm as it should, 

But if they was to then plug a ethernet in and you hadnt set up that xbox on the tether app as their xbox wired  the wired ip/mac will be different so it will be a new device on the network and won't be linked to that child's profile and the cut off times/ restrictions won't apply to it.  

Be warned if they have a vpn on their device the homesheild blocker will not work this includes mobile phones laptops pc's tablets ect. 

The cut off times won't work aswell as the filters and any specific blocked named website. 

The only time I know any new device that's added to my network that only has 1x ip/mac address is things like Smart bulbs, wifi plugs and even some of my tp link wifi only cameras,  as they can only be connected by wifi. 

How I have my network set up 

1x main ax72 

1x ax72 in AP mode connected via Ethernet into a tp link 24port gb switch then  back to the main router ( top floor )

1x ax72 in AP mode connected via ethernet back to the main router (man cave)

On my main ax72 all the connected devices are labelled and added to their respective family profiles ect. 

On my AP ax72's I've been lazy and haven't re named the devices that are connected via them as of yet. The AP ax72's haven't recognised I've already labelled/named all the connected devices on the main unit. 

Say I was to open the tether app and select my main router, wait for client list to load I can see all labelled devices on the clients lists as should be. 

BUT......

what I have noticed if I have devices connected to the the AP ax72's it will show on my main ax72 client list that they are wired even though they are only connected by wireless. 

Next way I'm seeing things wired that isn't. 

If I open the tether app and select one of my AP ax72's and open the client list it will show me all the devices connected on my network. 

BUT 

It will show me the things that are connected to that ap that are by wireless correctley, 

For example

in my man cave there is a alexa and a wifi plug connected via WiFi  and a tp link camera that ive connected via ethernet which in my man cave Ap point device on the tether app is correct but it also shows me everything else that is on my network but its wired.

Same sort of thing if I log into my top floor AP and open the client list. 

it will show me everything that is connected via wifi to that AP as it should but when you scroll down to the wired list it shows everything else thats connected to the network as wired. 

I believe its seeing the other devices on my network  as wired even though they are connected via wireless because its seeing the devices via the ethernet port from the other AX72's and its recognising them as wired. 

Options
2024-01-04 23:38:04

@Basboi85 

The screen shot shows via my main unit client list that the 2 on the left are connected via ethernet but only one of them is ethernet and the other is on wifi and these are on my man cave ax72

The arrow on the right is showing the device is connected via ethernet on my main Ax72 but its not, 

It's connected to my Top floor Ap via wifi 

File:
Screenshot_20240104_232725_Tether.jpgDownload
Options
2024-01-05 09:52:40 - last edited 2024-01-05 09:56:12

@Bmca 

That has to be a glitch tbh, the other way around it would be a worry, I find with mine if I login to it and it's shortly after a few things have disconnected they still show then it will refresh itself to show only those still active. What I would suggest is a factory reset & re-flash the FW even if you are using the latest one, sometimes it helps to drop back to an earlier FW first then re-apply the latest one, do it all offline so only have a cable running from the router to the device you are using at the time to login, set up a new set of passwords & make sure you turn off UPnP, WPS & the USB settings if you don't use the USB function, if it still does it after that you'll need to send in some log files so staff can have a look from all 3 units incase there is a conflict, ensure you blank out anything sensitive like passwords and MAC's if you openly post them here.

One other thought & staff would need to confirm but could it be possible that the mesh set up sees the sats as wired even though they aren't, make notes of the MAC's that appear as wired as well & check if they match any of your devices. Use long passwords & if you don't recognise a MAC ban it in settings, if it's a family member they'll soon be bending your ear if they can't get online, I say this as a thought that possibly someone is piggybacking your wifi with another router and maybe running wired devices as well if that's possible that is.

@ Bas,

Indeed some devices have 2 MAC's one for each wifi band.

Options
2024-01-06 12:12:52 - last edited 2024-01-06 12:18:30

@Bmca 

Looking back at your screenshot do you own a Sony smart TV? the other one would be if you have connected a pc to the router to enter the router set up page, other than that as one of the devices is showing your name if you have a look at that devices MAC you can confirm it is the device you own & have it online at the time to check someone hasn't spoofed your MAC, easy way is if it's showing online is to try to open a webpage, if you can't get a page loaded it means there are two devices using the same MAC, I'd say it's just an app glitch if it's only happening on tether so if it's still doing it refresh the app page a few times and it'll most likely sort itself out, it's also possible if you have wired either device before the connection is in the app memory so you could go to the app settings and clear it's cache history etc which may also sort it out.

A bare network strip down may help as well so disconnect everything from the wifi & introduce them one at a time, this way you'll be able to accurately identify each device & label it properly, I'd also turn off the wifi and see what the app says is connected after that, allow it a few minutes to update itself though or you may get false readings.

I've just noticed something that may be the cause, your tv is from 2014 & the phone/tablet from 2016, it's possible that due to the age and long ended support of the devices the router is getting the wrong readings for them and shoving them in as wired.

Options