Votes

"DUAL WAN" FEATURE, COULD BE??

Votes

2024-01-03 00:15:47

Hello,

Time ago i was thinking in the possibility of add a simple but interesting feature to my router AX73 (and why not for all other models?) 

Isn't a good idea that the routers could have in the Wan/Internet part  a configuration that let you set a automatic change of Gateway if in the actual  the internet connection fails ?? 

For example, if ping is not being received after XX seconds, the router automatically switch to another Gateway that you've previously configure..

This would be very useful in case of having two, three (or more) isp modem/router/ont,  one connection fails,then the router switchs automatically to the second gateway ip,and so on...  is like a kind of Dual Wan like Asus routers, but with a single port...

What do you think ??   yes or no?  or there´s another way to do it?

Greetings...    

Options
11 Reply
Re:"DUAL WAN" FEATURE, COULD BE??
2024-01-03 02:09:41

@GeorKhawam 

Hi, TP-Link home routers like AX73 don't support dual WAN but it is possible on our business level routers.

Options
2024-01-03 02:40:12

@Sunshine 

This feature isn't only neccesary in business,  i consider it's an easy and interesting feature that could be added to any low/mid range router

Not necessarily the router has to count with two or more wan ports,  the purpose is to add an option to auto change the internet Gateway when no connection..

The two (or more) gateways modems/ont/routers  we know that must be connected thru a Lan switch to the wan port of the router  to do that commutation... 

Don't know if i'm explaining myself very well..................

Options
2024-01-03 03:28:45

@GeorKhawam 

Hi, thank you for the reply, I understand what you mean but not sure whether it is possible, we will record this feature request and report to development team for evaluation.

Options
2024-01-04 02:51:34

@Sunshine 

Thank you for your receptiveness, i hope this interesting feature becomes possible  yes

Options
RE:"DUAL WAN" FEATURE, COULD BE??
2024-01-04 15:13:30
yes use the wan port & one of the lan ports together
Options
2024-01-04 16:31:30

@tonyjp2022  Yes, it's a feature hardware-based that i've seen in some Asus routers

But what i propose is to add it as an internal feature in the firmware of routers (in models which possible to add it) 

It would be something like:

Enter router configuration interface ip or in the app:

---> Internet Setting >  Set ip: *Static* 

Then a submenu deploys:

--- > Auto switch Default Gateway if internet connection fails?  Enable ▢

--- > Select gateway by priority ip1: __.__.__.__  ; gateway ip2: __.__.__.__ ; gateway ip3: __.__.__.__  ............................................

--- > Switch gateway if no internet connection detected (or no ping received) after:   ___ seconds 

--- > If no connection detected:  Do a Retry ▢  -   Switch immediately ▢  

((( Something like that or similar is what occurs to me...  could start doin it with the AX73 *__*  )))

Options
2024-01-04 16:38:03
very interesting feature that could be added to any router, including the most cheapest models :-D
Options
2024-01-04 17:17:00
yes just firmware update to use the feature yes it should work though many models
Options
2024-01-25 20:11:15

@GeorKhawam - I would love that too!

My primary WAN connection is data limited. I want to add another WAN connection from another provider as backup.

I would be fine if the router decided what packets to send over which WAN link or there could be a rule set up.

Options
2024-01-25 20:11:57
I want to be able to have two WAN connections on my AX73.
Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 503

Replies: 11

Voters 3