switching between extender and router

2024-01-12 18:41:40
Model: General Product  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hi, I have the TP-Link AV600 extender to extend my WIFI connection from one end of the house to the other.

I want my phone and other wireless devices to connect automatically to the stronger signal, ie. to the router when I'm at the front, and to the extender when at the back

But it doesn't automatically switch between the two, so I have to manually change it which is especially annoying as it seems to affect my Bluetooth headphones that I use while on the phone (and wandering around the house).

Is it possible for this to automatically switch without needing to set the same SSID? 

Thanks - appreciate any answers.

Options
3 Reply
Re:switching between extender and router
2024-01-12 19:12:14

@winedineroam 

winedineroam wrote

Is it possible for this to automatically switch without needing to set the same SSID? 

Yes, it is possible, but the switch has to be initiated by the client device.

Depending on what operating systems your devices use there may be software available for this purpose. In case of Android you could try if "SmartWiFiSelector" (use the Trial version first) from the Google Play Store works for you.

Options
2024-01-12 20:27:52

@woozle I have an iPhone and I looked at 'wifi selectors' but I'm not sure that any of them are going to do what I need - can you advise? is there really an app that can help switching between signals?

Options
2024-01-12 21:06:04

@winedineroam 

It's possible that there is no such app for iPhone. 

I don't have an iPhone myself, therefore I can't test any apps. But if an app doesn't specifically say in the description that it can automatically switch to the Wi-Fi with the strongest signal, then it's not what you need.

Options