Trying to use this as a bridge/repeater, please help

2024-01-17 19:49:11 - last edited 2024-01-17 19:55:26
Model: Archer AXE5400  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.9 Build 20231115 rel.37295(4341)

I wanted to use this to 'capture'  my landlord's shared wi-fi and act as a fail-over to my internet connection that is run through a router that has 2 WAN ports, I just don't know if this one, in particular, does it or not. I have an older smart router with Zigbee and that one does work the way I wanted it to, but the connection I get is pretty slow (less than 10Mbps) but I know for a fact that the network I wanted to connect the Archer AXE5400 to runs typically closer to 100Mbps if not more. I just don't know how to do it on this router or if this router in particular doesn't support that kind of function.

In context this is a rough diagram of what I wanted done:

Landlord's ISP (Fail-over/aggregate source)                 My own ISP (Main source of internet)

I                                                                                              I

I        (Wireless)                                                                      I  (Wired)

I                                                                                              I

Archer AXE5400  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Router with 2 WAN ports - - - - - - - - - - - - Home devices etc - - - - - - - - The internet!!

(Wired through LAN1)

There's no way for a wired connection between the landlords and the archer unit as the actual router from the landlord is housed at a different unit from mine.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Options
1 Reply
Re:Trying to use this as a bridge/repeater, please help
2024-01-17 21:18:04

@djawz

Archer AXE5400 can't be used to repeat/extend your landlord wireless connection, because it has only two working modes:

Wireless Router mode

Access Point mode

For the purpose you want a TL-WR841N or TL-WR840N in WISP mode or Range Extender mode should be used.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 189

Replies: 1

Related Articles