Deco M5 mesh defaulting to not using Ethernet backhaul for one link

2024-01-18 16:16:59 - last edited 2024-01-19 07:23:39
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.7.3

My 3 Deco M5's are wired together via D-Link switch. The main AP is in router mode.

When setting things up (via connecting one at a time and doing some random power cycling), I can get each of the leaf AP's to talk to the main router M5 via Ethernet. ie.,

Internet --- MAIN M5 ---- ethernet --- ATTIC M5
                 |
                 +------- ethernet --- DOWNSTAIRS M5

I check the app every day. For a few days, this network map remains.

One day I look at the app, and all of a sudden I see:

Internet --- MAIN M5 ---- wifi --- ATTIC M5 --- ethernet --- DOWNSTAIRS M5

I can play around with rebooting, unplugging, plugging back in, etc. - and voilla - it goes back to using Ethernet backhaul everwhere. Then a few days later, bang, back to some other configuration (not always the 2nd one depicted above, but will always revert to one of them using wifi).

Any ideas? I've tried different switch ports, confirmed the Ethernet connection is live, etc.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco M5 mesh defaulting to not using Ethernet backhaul for one link-Solution
2024-01-18 21:12:37 - last edited 2024-01-19 07:23:39

@BigKevOz 

D-Link switches are known to have issues with Deco Ethernet backhaul protocol. You may need to replace switch by different brand, TP-Link switches are usually safe bet. Check this FAQ document, specifically it Q&A section: General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco M5 mesh defaulting to not using Ethernet backhaul for one link-Solution
2024-01-18 21:12:37 - last edited 2024-01-19 07:23:39

@BigKevOz 

D-Link switches are known to have issues with Deco Ethernet backhaul protocol. You may need to replace switch by different brand, TP-Link switches are usually safe bet. Check this FAQ document, specifically it Q&A section: General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Deco M5 mesh defaulting to not using Ethernet backhaul for one link
2024-02-19 13:33:54

@Alexandre. Thanks. I was worreid that would be the issue, even though it appears as though D-link claims the switch I have supports the Ethernet backhaul protocol.

Do *all* TP-link unmanaged switches support this protocol? I need more than 8 ports, so the examples given do not suit me. eg., I'm considering the TL-SG1016D or TL-SG116 - how do I know if they would be suitable or not?

Options
2024-02-19 13:48:09

@BigKevOz 

Any unmanaged gigabit switch from TP-Link should do, but just in case - get it from the place with return policy of at least 1-2 weeks.

Options
2024-02-19 13:56:13
Thanks!
Options
2024-02-19 19:55:44

@Alexandre. Would the TP-Link Easy Smart switches also support this? eg., the TL-SG116E  (and yes, am going to buy from a place with a return policy, but trying to be as sure as possible upfront)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 250

Replies: 5

Related Articles