Refusing to connect, please help!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2024-01-20 19:59:24 - last edited 2024-01-20 20:03:49
Model: Archer AX55   Archer AX10  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.6 Build 20231130 rel.36135(4555)

Hello,

I have a very frustrating issue. I have the TP-Link Archer AX10 router which I have had for a few years now without issue and yesterday morning I found that none of my devices were able to connect to WiFi or Ethernet. I kept getting various errors like "connection failed", "Incorrect password", "unable to obtain IP address", "Can't connect to this network" etc. I rang my ISP thinking it was issue on their side however nothing came from that. I then thought that my AX10 must be bust so I went out and bought a new TP-Link Archer AX55 thinking that would fix the issue, however it hasn't, I'm still having the issue, its been more than 24 hours. After tinkering around with the router all day (restarting,  resetting to factory defaults), I discovered that I could get around this by creating an address reservation in the DHCP server settings, each device that I create an address reservation for is now able to connect to the internet via WiFi/Ethernet, however I don't want to operate my network this way, I have too many devices and don't want to create reservations every time I buy a new device. I've had a look in the system logs and can't see any related to devices trying and failing to connect however I found the following logs that are being spammed again and again every few seconds, that seems a bit weird but not sure if its normal:

2024-01-20 19:45:35 DHCPC INFO [14358] receive ack from server with ip xx.xx.xx.xx, options(lease=900;subnet=255.255.240.0;serverid=xx.xx.xx.xx;router=xx.xx.xx.xx;dns=xx.xx.xx.xx xx.xx.xx.xx;)

2024-01-20 19:45:35 DHCPC INFO [14358] send select request with options(cliid=01/5c:e9:31:00:c3:0d:;)

2024-01-20 19:45:35 DHCPC INFO [14358] 1/2 lease passed, enter renewing state

2024-01-20 19:38:01 DHCPC INFO [14358] receive ack from server with ip xx.xx.xx.xx, options(lease=900;subnet=255.255.240.0;serverid=xx.xx.xx.xx;router=xx.xx.xx.xx;dns=xx.xx.xx.xx xx.xx.xx.xx;)

IP addresses redacted however they are from my ISP not addresses that I have assigned.

Can some one please help? Is the an issue with the firmware? I don't think it is as I've not seen any other posts with this issue and I also tried downgrading to the previous firmware but that didn't work either. I am now back on the latest firmware.

Thanks

Options
9 Reply
Re:Refusing to connect, please help!
2024-01-21 16:02:11 - last edited 2024-01-21 16:02:28

@Sal123 

Do you have any other device in your network like ISP modem/router with DHCP enabled ?

Make sure that you didn't enable Acceess Control Whitelist or IP&MAC Binding on your TP-Link router.

Check your TP-Link router LAN IP settings - I can see a DHCP server response with subnet=255.255.240.0 - this should be 255.255.255.0 normally.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-01-21 16:22:22

@terziyski 

Thanks for responding.

I've already done those checks, I don't have any other device with a DHCP server. 

Those logs are for the WAN not the LAN, I don't have controll over the subnet on the WAN that is set by the ISP. 

The DHCP server log for the LAN is completely blank for some reason.

Thanks

Options
2024-01-21 18:39:05

@Sal123 

Can you describe your network infrastructure. What are the devices that you have in your LAN.

After a successful reset you can follow these guides on how to setup your AX10 or AX55.

Here's how to setup a wireless router through the tether app.

Here's a video guide on how to do that with AX12 or similar.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-01-22 08:11:09

@terziyski 

The usual devices:

Couple of smart tvs

Couple of Amazon fire sticks

Few phones

Games consoles

Wireless printer

3 smart light bulbs

Desktop pc

Laptop

Tp link 5 port switch

My router is setup correctly

Ideally I need someone from tp link to confirm if this is a firmware issue. All was working fine and at some point after Thursday midnight some thing changed and broke everything. The fact that i can get devices to connect using an address reservation tells me its certainly something wrong with the router and not my connection from my ISP

Options
2024-01-22 09:15:04 - last edited 2024-01-22 09:27:14

Update:

I've been able to confirm that this is an issue with the dhcp server on the router. I ran a capture while trying to connect my phone to WiFi and can see repeat DHCP Discover and DHCP Request packets from my phone however not one single DHCP response. If I set a DHCP reservation then it bypasses the whole DHCP handshake which is why it works that way.

@TP-Link please can you get on this and release some new firmware

Thanks

Options
2024-01-22 11:54:28

@Sal123 

Hi, thank you very much for the update.

Could you please try the beta firmware provided in this thread and check if it solves the problem?

Public Beta for Archer AX55 V1 Supports EasyMesh Ethernet Backhaul, DoH&DoT, ECO Mode and More

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2024-01-22 14:34:31 - last edited 2024-01-22 14:55:00

Hello Sunshine, Thanks for responding and providing a link to the beta firmware. I've managed to install it and everything seems to be working now. Will monitor it for a while but seems ok at the moment

Thanks

Options
2024-01-22 18:40:13

@Sunshine 

Unfortunately the issue has re-ocurred. The DHCP server on the router has stopped working again.

Any support would be appriciated

Options
2024-01-23 06:16:12

@Sal123 

Hi, thanks for the update. To assist you efficiently, I've forwarded your case to the TP-Link support engineers who will contact you with your registered email address later.

Please pay attention to your email box for follow-up.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 671

Replies: 9

Related Articles