powerline adapter connected but no internet

2024-02-07 19:32:33
Model: TL-PA717 KIT  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version:

Hello everyone,

I'm facing an issue with my powerline adapter—it's connected, but there's no internet access. I've followed every suggestion found in forums and ensured my firmware is up to date, yet the problem persists. Unfortunately, I'm unable to use the mobile app for troubleshooting since it requires an internet connection, which I currently don't have.

Here's what I've tried so far:

• Ensured all connections are secure and the powerline adapters are plugged directly into wall outlets.
  • Performed a reset on the powerline adapters.
  • Checked that my network configuration is correct and the adapters are properly paired.
  • Tried using different electrical outlets to see if it's a circuit-related issue.
  • Looked for potential interference from appliances and turned them off to test connectivity.
  • Updated the network drivers on my device.
  • Tested with a different Ethernet cable to rule out cable faults.
  • Verified my device is set to obtain an IP address automatically.
  • Attempted a direct connection to the router with an Ethernet cable, which worked fine, indicating the issue lies with the powerline adapters.

I'm reaching out to see if anyone has experienced a similar issue or has any suggestions that might help. Any advice or troubleshooting tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help!

Options
7 Reply
Re:powerline adapter connected but no internet
2024-02-07 20:25:26

@sari855 

Hi,

Are all three LED indicator lights on both TL-PA717 devices solidly lit?

Options
2024-02-08 08:21:24

@woozle 

Yes, all three LED indicator lights on both of my TL-PA717 devices are solidly lit, indicating that they are properly connected and powered on. The core issue seems to be related to WiFi connectivity, even though the powerline network appears to be functioning correctly based on the indicator lights.

To provide more details:

• The Power LED is on, showing the device is powered up.
  • The Powerline LED is solid, indicating a good connection to the network.
  • The Ethernet LED is also solid, suggesting a successful link to the connected device.

Despite this, I'm still unable to access the internet via WiFi from the extended network. It's as if the devices are communicating well with each other but not providing internet access through the WiFi connection. I'm looking for any suggestions on how to resolve this WiFi connectivity issue. Could it be a configuration problem, or is there something else I'm missing?

Thank you for your attention to this matter!

Options
2024-02-08 19:39:17 - last edited 2024-02-08 19:40:12

@sari855 

What kind of device is providing the Wi-Fi connectivity?

Is you network topology like this? :

Options
2024-02-08 19:57:18

@woozle 

thank you for the diagram; it accurately represents my network setup. I am using a TP-Link Wi-Fi access point connected to the TL-PA717 at the end of the chain, and I've actually tried two different TP-Link Wi-Fi APs to rule out the possibility of a faulty unit.

Both Wi-Fi APs exhibit the same issue—they show as connected with good signal strength, but there's no internet connectivity. I have verified that the APs work correctly when connected directly to the router via Ethernet, which leads me to suspect the issue might be with the communication between the TL-PA717 and the Wi-Fi APs.

Is there a specific setting on the TL-PA717 that I need to configure for compatibility with TP-Link Wi-Fi APs, or could there be an issue with the TL-PA717 units themselves? Any guidance on this would be greatly appreciated.

Options
2024-02-09 00:41:24

@sari855 

So, if you plug the cable marked with the blue arrow into the Wi-Fi AP, then everything works fine, but if you plug the cable marked with the red arrow into the Wi-Fi AP, then there is no Internet, right?  That is indeed very weird. 

There are no special settings for connecting a Wi-Fi AP via Powerline. It shouldn't matter whether you connect a PC, a video game console, a TV or a Wi-Fi AP to the second TL-PA717.

But in case there is something particular about those Wi-Fi APs, do you own any other device that you could connect to the second TL-PA717 via Ethernet cable, just for a test?

By the way, apart from there being no Internet available via the Wi-Fi AP, is there any local network connection at all? For example, are you able to open the router's webpage when you are connected to the Wi-Fi AP? Or does the router see the Wi-Fi AP and any devices that are connected to the Wi-Fi AP? (you would have to log into the router to determine that)

Options
2024-02-09 10:31:25

@woozle 

When I connect my laptop directly to the second TL-PA717 unit using an Ethernet cable, I do indeed have an internet connection, but the speed is extremely slow at around 0.40 Mbps. However, the TP-Link app indicates a connection speed of 60 Mbps between the powerline adapters.

Interestingly, while connected directly to the TL-PA717 via Ethernet, my laptop can ping external servers and access local network resources, such as the router's configuration page. So, there is some level of connectivity being provided through the powerline network. However, this functionality doesn't extend through the Wi-Fi AP, where I encounter the issues.

Given this, could there be a quality of service (QoS) setting or another configuration on the router or powerline adapters that I need to adjust? Or is it possible that the powerline communication is experiencing interference or signal degradation that's causing this drastic drop in speed?

Options
2024-02-10 14:38:46

@sari855 

If that's t

sari855 wrote

@woozle 

Or is it possible that the powerline communication is experiencing interference or signal degradation that's causing this drastic drop in speed?

To confirm whether that is the reason for the problems you are experiencing I suggest you take both, the second TL-PA717 and the Wi-Fi AP, and plug them in a wall outlet that is much closer to the location of the first TL-PA717 (the one connected to the router). Then check again if things start working now and how much the connection speed shown by the TP-Link app has improved.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 846

Replies: 7

Related Articles