Which deco pack should I pick?

2024-02-20 18:42:39

Hello,

I need to increase my network size up to 1000m2. For this purpose i need to use a mesh system between 3 houses separated by 10 to 20 meters. 

I need to have a network using WIFI 2.4Ghz 802.11 b/g/n due to some devices i'm using (mainly many camera). 

I would like to have mesh devices who can exchange data using an hidden WIFI6 between them instead of occupying the exposed network through all of them. 

There's no eth wire on the property and want avoid  them. Sonhaving devices who can use a better network internaly and only expose the public one to connect my devices would be perfect. 

So my question is, which kind on TP Link devices should I use for my purpose?

Tyvm for your help

Options
4 Reply
Re:Which deco pack should I pick?
2024-02-20 21:43:57 - last edited 2024-02-20 21:52:11

Hi  @Borisnotjohnson  !

Hi !

I have three X50 decos ( V 1.2) which I would NOT buy again! Why?

1) outdated firmware ( from May last year) which do not even allow switching off wlan over night. So if you do not want wifi-radiation while sleeping you have to pull the plug....

2) the cpu of the X50 deco units is really weak. It reaches >90 %  if only 2-3 devices are connected. Not sure how they can process data when more than 3 devices are connected...

3) When going through the sys log of my satellite deco I noticed a bug regarding the guest network. It throws a sys log error every second(!) telling it cannot connect /find the guest network in an internal file list, regardless whether the guest network is activated or not. Not sure what effects it will have on the device when such an error is noticed and displayed in the sys log   86400 times a day... it affects the performance of the cpu for sure. And the best thing is that the bug/problem - as many others-  is known to TP-Link (as some posts from last years document), but no solution has been offered yet.

4.) I often have connection problems with my decos. Sometimes the mesh technolgy  does not work at all, which is really annoying.  In addition, my Samsung A52s 5g smartphone often does not connect to the x50 deco while the wifi only uses the 2.4 GHz band.  As I have read in this  forum other decos and  devices/smartphones have similar problems. Some connect only to 2.4 GHz, other only to the 5 GHz band.

5.) The overall impression of my deco: it has bugs and issues that are not adressed by Tp-Link and the firmware is outdated with some important functionality missing.

When reading the posts in this forum I think that other decos also have their own issues/problems. The support tries to solve some of them, but I have the impression that solving problems and improving the firmware is not TP-Link's main focus, which in my opinion is very disappointing. I am not sure how other companies deal with similar issues though. Decos are quite expensive and  as a customer I do not want to waste my time trying to find solutions to problems that should not exist the first place!

Overall, my experience so far is quite negative. When selecting a proper (mesh ) device for your home network I would recommend the following:

1) check whether the deco has the firmware and functionality which you need.

2) check whether the firmware has regular updates

3) check the forum for existing issues/ bugs with the specific deco model. Some issues have not been solved yet , so even older (>2 years) entries might be relevant.

4) check whether your devices  (like smartphones,etc) have any connectivity issues with certain deco models and whether this issues have been solved .As mentioned before some devices only connect to the deco using a specific band,etc.

5) look for reliable models. The latest ones might have many bugs which need to be solved first (if at all).

6.) Check the products of other companies and consult the support forum to get information on the points described above!

All the best!

Options
2024-02-21 03:07:12

@Mr_AI 

Hi, A new 1.2.0 firmware for Deco X50_V1.2 is ready now. It has added all the latest fetaures on 1.4.1 of Deco X50_V1 here.

Understand the Differences Among Deco Firmware Platforms

If you want to test this new firmware, please leave me a message.

Best regards.

Options
2024-02-21 03:11:18

@Borisnotjohnson 

Hi, Have you used any powerline adapters before?

"3 houses separated by 10 to 20 meters" might not be friendly for a pure Wi-Fi Mesh Backhaul network. Ethernet Backhaul is out of consideration.

If you tried powerline adapters before and they work quite well, Deco PX50 seems like a good choice.

https://www.tp-link.com/en/home-networking/deco/deco-px50/

General Questions about the Powerline or PLC Backhaul Feature of Deco

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2024-02-21 07:47:59

Hi @David-TP 

The houses do not skare the same power line, so I cannot use CPL or similar system. Unfortunately I'm stuck with a full WIFI solution. 

I can at least add some outdoor powerlines near the houses to increase the network signal but cannot do more. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 204

Replies: 4

Related Articles