Current status of IPv6 integration ER707-M2

2024-02-22 19:28:30 - last edited 2024-02-23 02:35:56
Model: ER707-M2  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.1

Hello together,

today I updated my controller OC200 to version 1.28.2  with controller version 5.13.24.

Since I read in the release notes for ER707-M2 version V1 1.2.0  that "Add support for link-local addresses of IPv6 DNS on the LAN side.", I am waiting for version 5.13.

So I wanted to test it right away. Unfortunately, it didn't work for me, see screenshot.

The error is something like "invalide format"

So, the general question, is it possible to use a ULA for DNS Server? And when yes can I also advertise ULAs with the ER707-M2. 

Thank you all,

Matthias

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Current status of IPv6 integration ER707-M2-Solution
2024-02-23 02:34:40 - last edited 2024-02-23 02:35:56

Hi @Matthi17 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

IPv6 link-local addresses are used within a single network segment and are not routed to other networks. Link-local addresses are crucial for the local communication of network devices, especially when there is no DHCP server to assign addresses, and devices need to configure their own addresses automatically. The format of IPv6 link-local addresses is as follows:

• Prefix: Link-local addresses always start with the prefix fe80::/10, meaning the first 10 bits are fixed to 1111 1110 10.
  • The next 54 bits are typically set to 0, though this is not mandatory. In total, the first 64 bits include the fe80:: prefix.
  • The last 64 bits are the Interface Identifier, which is usually derived from the physical address (MAC address) of the network interface.
Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Current status of IPv6 integration ER707-M2-Solution
2024-02-23 02:34:40 - last edited 2024-02-23 02:35:56

Hi @Matthi17 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

IPv6 link-local addresses are used within a single network segment and are not routed to other networks. Link-local addresses are crucial for the local communication of network devices, especially when there is no DHCP server to assign addresses, and devices need to configure their own addresses automatically. The format of IPv6 link-local addresses is as follows:

• Prefix: Link-local addresses always start with the prefix fe80::/10, meaning the first 10 bits are fixed to 1111 1110 10.
  • The next 54 bits are typically set to 0, though this is not mandatory. In total, the first 64 bits include the fe80:: prefix.
  • The last 64 bits are the Interface Identifier, which is usually derived from the physical address (MAC address) of the network interface.
Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Current status of IPv6 integration ER707-M2
2024-02-23 06:12:13

Hi  @Clive_A ,

thank you!

the day was probably too long that my eyes fooled me and I just read unique local address. Or I had it from a beta.

Can you say something about whether ULA support is planned later?

Best Regards,

Matthias

Options