Deco XE75 Pro Buggy - WiFi Password Incorrect on certain iPhone and IPad

2024-02-25 21:23:45
Model: Deco XE75 Pro  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.9

I recently replaced my Deco M4Rs with XE75 Pros and noticed that randomly, certain iOS devices encounter difficulty connecting to the XE75 units. iOS reports 'Incorrect Password for <SSID>'. A reboot of the Deco network resolves the issue and allows iOS devices to log back in.

Will this issue be fixed? Why do the XE75 Pros have problems with certain iOS devices?

My network consists of 3 XE75 Pros and 2 M5s.

Options
11 Reply
Re:Deco XE75 Pro Buggy - WiFi Password Incorrect on certain iPhone and IPad
2024-03-07 19:55:26

@coolspot18 I'm also having this issue. I thought I was going mad, it seems to be every couple of days and it's driving me nuts. I've emailed support and will see what they say.

Options
2024-03-08 09:39:27

@coolspot18 do your 2.4/5GHz and 6GHz networks have the same SSID? This has been known to cause similar problems, particularly on  older iOS devices. Try giving your 6GHz network a different SSID to see if that fixes it.

If your new network and your old network have exactly the same SSID it might be worth "forgetting" the old network on your devices and signing into them fresh to renew the saved credentials on your devices.

XE75 V1.0 3-pack / Wired backhaul / Router mode / UK
Options
2024-03-08 09:43:39 - last edited 2024-03-08 09:43:51

@Wrayman they do and I'll give it a try although all my iOS kit is new. Thanks.

Options
2024-03-08 14:35:00

@Wrayman Yes, SSIDs are the same, it is the recommended configuration by Apple. If you have different SSIDs, iOS will display a security message.

However, I don't think it's an Apple issue, because a reboot of the Deco system will clear up the issue.

Also, it seems several of my 2.4ghz IOT devices (Wemos) are having trouble connecting to the XE75 Pro network - I saw this issue years ago with my M4/M5 network when the firmware was immature.

Options
2024-03-08 15:25:28

@coolspot18 can you link to where Apple recommends naming two discrete networks with identical SSIDs and passwords? I would still recommend having two separate SSIDs and having your 6GHz capable devices on this network and keeping your other devices on the 2.4/5GHz devices. That's clearly the way Deco have designed their product and this solution fixed someone else's iOS connectivity issues just yesterday.

Are your IoT devices connecting to the main network(s) or the specific IoT network? If it's the main network then I still think that is the most likely cause.

A reboot might be "fixing" the issue because your devices connect to the first network they encounter, then as you roam about the house or the devices try to locate the best network they hop to the other network on a different frequency (or maybe even different encryption method i.e. WPA2, WPA2/3 or WPA3) and causes it to fail. It's worth troubleshooting to see if that is the issue.

Options
2024-03-08 15:46:26 - last edited 2024-03-08 15:50:30

Here is the updated guidance for Apple, if I recall correctly, iOS will even display a security warning if the 6Ghz SSID is different.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/102285

and 

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202068

For best performance with Apple devices, the Wi-Fi router providing the network should use a single network name across all of its wireless bands: the 2.4GHz band, the 5GHz band, and the Wi-Fi 6E network’s 6GHz band.

If the router isn’t using the same name for all bands, your device identifies the network as having limited compatibility. It then finds the name of the corresponding 5GHz network and asks whether you want to join it for better compatibility.

Network name (SSID)

Set to a single, unique name (case-sensitive) for all bands

The Wi-Fi network name, or SSID (service set identifier), is the name that your network uses to advertise its presence to other devices. It's also the name that nearby users see on their device's list of available networks.

• Make sure that all routers on your network use the same name for every band they support. If you give your 2.4GHz, 5GHz, or 6GHz bands different names, devices might not connect reliably to your network, to all routers on your network, or to all available bands of your routers. If your router is providing a Wi-Fi 6E network that isn't using the same name for all bands, Apple devices that support Wi-Fi 6E will identify the network as having limited compatibility.

Are your IoT devices connecting to the main network(s) or the specific IoT network? If it's the main network then I still think that is the most likely cause.

The X75 Pro seems to disconnect Wemo switches. Wemos have always been problematic with TPLink Routers ... with older firmware versions for the M4 and M5 it was very problematic and exhibit simliar stability issues It seems those problems have cropped back up with the X75 Pro/

Options
2024-03-08 16:01:23

@coolspot18 I personally disagree with Apple's suggestions, as they don't know how every router is designed or how every mesh technology is implemented. Some Mesh networks might work flawlessly across all 3 frequencies with identical SSIDs and others might not. It's also not a security warning, it's a "compatibility" warning. That implies that it's not safe or less safe to have separate SSIDs which is not the case.

You also didn't say if your devices are connected to the main network or if you have a specific IoT network set up for them. If they have their own IoT network and separate SSID and they are still being disconnected then the Deco units could be faulty or maybe the WPA version is set too high for the wifi standard the Wemo plugs are using.

I don't really have any other suggestions for you other than testing this theory out unfortunately.

Options
2024-03-08 16:21:27

@Wrayman for what it's worth (if anything) I'm not having issues with my IoT stuff (smart plugs mainly), it seems to be iPhone 15 PM and 2023 iPad Pro. I'm still to try separating off the 6ghz band though.

Options
2024-03-08 16:22:57 - last edited 2024-03-08 16:23:40

I'm connected to the Main network for my IOT devices. For years, with M4/M5 I was only using the main network.

The IOT network is just an extra SSID, what benefit does it have for IOT devices? It doesn't even segment those devices onto a separate VLAN?

Options
2024-03-08 16:38:05

@coolspot18 the two main benefits are:

1.  You can set separate encryption standards or exclude the 5GHz frequency from the IoT network. This enhances compatibility for IoT devices (typically limited to 2.4GHz for power efficiency and often don't support newer wifi connection protocols hence the option to disable Mesh technology in the Dceo app as well) and older devices like my Canon printer which won't connect to my WPA3 main network. The IoT network allows me to connect my printer via WPA2 and the fact that they're on the same VLAN means I can still print wirelessly without the cloud. Arguably redundant with WPA2/3 available but I prefer discrete SSIDs for network management.
  2. Device management, it's sometimes easier to have separate SSIDs to keep track of devices, especially if you're setting up a network for the first time and everything connects with a generic name.

And all those years you were using a single network you were also having issues with the Wemo sockets as well? I appreciate that you want a single network but it might not be possible/stable on the Deco system which is why I still suggest you try a new SSID to eliminate this as the issue.

Options

Information

Helpful: 4

Views: 408

Replies: 11

Related Articles