Parental Controls breaks wifi completely

2024-02-26 19:26:17 - last edited 2024-03-04 12:21:55
Model: Deco X55  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.4.1

I enabled Parental Controls for two of my son's devices: a Chromebook and an Android-based phone. When he tries to go to a site that is blocked, it takes ages to timeout. Then he cannot access any other site. I tried adding my Windows 11 laptop to his profile to test it out, and I get the same thing. I noticed that my wifi icon shows there is no connection to the Internet, so I click on that and see a message that says "Action needed". Clicking on the list of access points there is a "Open browser and connect" message. If I click on that it tries to connect to a website used by Windows to test the internet connection. After a couple of minutes it eventually comes up with a web page saying "This site is blocked" and a button to request access. Clicking on the button to request access shows a page that says "Enter the digits above for safety" but above there are no digits - only asterisks. I tried inspecting the web page and it is literally an image file called digits.png that is just five asterisks. I tried enter five asterisks, just to see if it worked, and of course it doesn't. So I effectively have no way to get the device back on the Internet except to remove the device from Parental Controls. :-/

Anyone else seen this? This seems like a huge, glaring bug.

Prompting for digits where there are none.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Parental Controls breaks wifi completely-Solution
2024-02-27 06:48:36 - last edited 2024-03-04 12:21:55

@colorfullyzowie 

Hi, This error pops out when the online time reaches the preset Time Limit.

You could try the following suggestions to see whether the verification code could be refreshed:

• Clear browser cache or history
  • Try different web browser
  • Try to access http://163.com

>>Know more about The HomeShield Reward feature

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Parental Controls breaks wifi completely-Solution
2024-02-27 06:48:36 - last edited 2024-03-04 12:21:55

@colorfullyzowie 

Hi, This error pops out when the online time reaches the preset Time Limit.

You could try the following suggestions to see whether the verification code could be refreshed:

• Clear browser cache or history
  • Try different web browser
  • Try to access http://163.com

>>Know more about The HomeShield Reward feature

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 88

Replies: 1

Related Articles