L2TP/ipsec VPN connections drop on upload speed tests

2024-02-28 05:08:23 - last edited 2024-02-29 01:45:01
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

My ER605v2 seems to drop LT2P/ipsec VPN connection every time a VPN client do a speed test (both Ookla and fast.com). The drop happens during the upload part of the speed test. I've tested from both a MacBook and an iPhone while be connected to my VPN server (ER605). I tried uploading four heavy files to Google Drive using a VPN connection, and that was not an issue. The issues seems to be related to speed testing only.

What could cause this? Some kind of FW protection that thinks the speed check is some kind of attack? I can't find anything useful regarding the disconnect in the log. The log just says the client disconnected. Could my ISP be causing this?

Its not a big issue, but I want to get to the bottom of why this is happening. 

Best,

Markus

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:L2TP/ipsec VPN connections drop on upload speed tests-Solution
2024-02-28 09:21:27 - last edited 2024-02-29 01:45:01

Hi @Clive_A 

I tried on a win laptop just now and the outcome is - as you suggested - a bit different. The vpn connection doesn't disconnect, but I'm unable to reach my router for a for a few seconds while doing the speed test.

(I pinged my router while doing the speed test, and I got three request timed out in a row, then pinging is successful again. 

On the mac and iphone, the vpn connection fails and does not recover on its own.

markus

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-02-28 09:34:31 - last edited 2024-02-29 01:45:07

Hi @markie83 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

markie83 wrote

Hi @Clive_A 

I tried on a win laptop just now and the outcome is - as you suggested - a bit different. The vpn connection doesn't disconnect, but I'm unable to reach my router for a for a few seconds while doing the speed test.

(I pinged my router while doing the speed test, and I got three request timed out in a row, then pinging is successful again. 

On the mac and iphone, the vpn connection fails and does not recover on its own.

markus

That looks like a drain of the session/bandwidth indeed.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:L2TP/ipsec VPN connections drop on upload speed tests
2024-02-28 07:38:55

Hi @markie83 

Try on a Win PC or Android and see if this happens or not.

Never seen this before. I assume it is not a problem with the router instead on your Apple devices.

Could be a drain of sessions. It cannot handle the bandwidth in the speed test as it drains sessions and bandwidth.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2024-02-28 09:21:27 - last edited 2024-02-29 01:45:01

Hi @Clive_A 

markus

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-02-28 09:34:31 - last edited 2024-02-29 01:45:07

Hi @markie83 

markie83 wrote

Hi @Clive_A 

markus

That looks like a drain of the session/bandwidth indeed.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 176

Replies: 3

Related Articles