2 Identical EAP 245, but 1 is acting funny

2024-02-29 22:08:19
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 5.1.0 Build 20230104 Rel. 79433(4555)

I had 2 EAPs 245 working in my home for a few years and all was well.

A few days ago, my laptop would not connect tot the EAP 245 on the top floor of my home and after some digging, I found out that the EAP 245 was to blame.

No problemn; I did a hardware reset and downloaded the config of the other EAP 245 and thought it would work. But it didn't.

I can hardware reset the EAP 245 and access it with my laptop. If I import the config I cannot connect anymore. When I add a new SSID after a hardware reset, I can connect to this, but I have no netword; only acces to the EAP 245. Every other SSID I add denies all connections; my laptop times out without an error.

After the firmware update on both, it is still the same.

They are in the same lan, pfsense is the router and sees them both and assigns IP's. The VLANS for the SSIDs work, because the other EAP works without a glitch.

Anybody knows what I am missing/overlooking?

Options
4 Reply
Re:2 Identical EAP 245, but 1 is acting funny
2024-03-01 03:50:07

Hi @Marc_NL

The EAP is usually plug-and-play, if you get no internet access from the EAP, please firstly confirm the main Router is working fine. Then check the points below and see if it helps:
     1. Ensure the EAP is hardwired to the router via an Ethernet LAN cable, use a standard CAT5 above cable for the connection. Usually, we can see a corresponding LED light up on the Router.
     2. Test the EAP's SSID with other wireless clients, eliminate the issue is from a specific client.
     3. Check the IP info on the wireless clients. To access the Internet, the clients need to get Default Gateway (Router) and DNS Server from your network through the EAP.
     4. Unplug the EAP, and connect a PC instead to the Router with the same Ethernet cable, check the IP info obtained on the PC and confirm it can get internet access.
     5. Reset the EAP: with the EAP powered on, use a pin to press and hold the reset hole for about 8 seconds until the LED flashes green-red-yellow to factory default settings.
     6. Repeat step 1)-4) if you still get no Internet access from the EAP, this is a detailed FAQ for more troubleshooting tips: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/3083/
If the issue still persists, please contact TP-Link support with the result of the above troubleshooting steps.
Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2024-03-01 12:44:57

@Hank21 

1. The EAP 245 is hardwired to the router and gets an IP-adres and i can acces the webserver in it and make changes. The router works fine, as the second EAP 245 works fine. The light is continues green.
  2. I tried multiple SSIDs with 4 different devices and non gets a connection with the funny behaving EAP 245. They connect without a problem to the other EAP 245
  3. The devices do not get an IP, as the are not connected to the funny behaving EAP 245. They do get an IP and internet acces when connected to the other EAP 245
  4. Connected to a PC does not show other behaviour; devices still cannot connect to the EAP 345
  5. I've gave about 5 hardware resets and a multiple of that on soft resets.
  6. The problem is not the internetconnection, but the connection it self. Devices keep trying and trying to connect and than stop. Sometimes saying: "cannot connect to <SSID>"
Options
2024-03-01 20:47:56

@Marc_NL 

Given that it behaves the same after a firmware update I am inclined to say the hardware ist kaput.

As a last ditch effort, default the factory device and see if you can attach to the factory setup SSID it will then broadcast in standalone mode.  If not, there's probably something broken in the RF Receive side of the device.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2024-03-03 12:26:48

@d0ugmac1 yeah I guess so.

There is no way to connect to it after changing the SSID following a hardware reset.

Thanks all for the help!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 158

Replies: 4

Related Articles