Cannot connect through seperate GPON

2024-03-03 08:31:39 - last edited 2 weeks ago
Model: Archer Air R5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.1.4 Build 20230922 ref. 56551

Hello!

I live in Spain with ISP 'Finetwork' who install a 'Sercomm W1-H500s' router with a separate 'Nokia G010G-P' ONT device.

I am attempting to replace the W1-H500s with the Archer Air R5, but I am unable to do so. I have reviewed LOTS of videos and literature so far:

- I can connect to the Archer Air R5 via WiFi and access the settings with no issues.

- I can connect to the Internet through the Archer if I connect through the Sercomm (I.e. From the LAN port on the Sercomm to WAN on Archer).

- Firmware has been updated.

The issues start when I try to connect directly to the Nokia GPON device:

- No Internet connection

- The Archer is able to Auto-detect that the ISP is Dynamic, which suggests it recognises something.

- It constantly says 'Connecting' and the IP and DNS addresses all show 0.0.0.0.

I have tried:

- Cloning the MAC address by using the Sercomm MAC address.

- Running the Archer through 'Access Point Mode' from the GPON.

- Copying all DNS and IP settings from the Sercomm to the Archer. 

- Screaming loudly at the Archer in the hopes of submission. 

- Pleading with the GPON.

Can anyone offer any advice? Is it possible that there is an incompatibility between the GPON and Archer? Finetwork say they support third party routers...? There is no bridge mode on the Sercomm, though I understand Finetwork can configure it on their end, I just don't want to daisy-chain devices!

Thanks!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Cannot connect through seperate GPON-Solution
3 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

I am back! A few months later, but I felt compelled to write how I solved this issue for those looking for similar help.

The issue is that I needed to have the router setup with a PPPoE username and password: Most ISPs will NOT give this to you.

I followed multiple guides online that required me to use WireShark, accessing the admin user settings by pausing and editing the HTML, port mirroring, unplugging and plugging in ethernet cables... All took many attempts, many hours and resulted in nothing.

Eventually, using a different method, I did get the PPPoE credentials and on the first try.

Ingredients

​​​​​​- You will need to feel comfortable downloading Ubuntu. 

- You need to download a little Python script

- You should know your ISP (I realised after writing that my network was actually Vodafone that was sold on by Finetwork; I was unfamiliar with the ISPs in Spain).

- You will need to enter your PPPoE into the TPlink router and updated your VLAN settings (this is made available by the python script also)

Method

Follow the guide within the Tutorials on the 'frikodelto​​​​​​' dot com website. It is in Spanish, so you will need to translate. Be wary that it may translate the filename of the script, I didn't notice this at first and it stopped me for a short ten seconds. The script name is 'FRIKIpppoe' if you are trying to find the website via a search engine.

The script will let you know the VLAN details you need then it took about 30 seconds to run after which it spat out the PPPoE credentials.

Hope this helps somebody out there!

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Cannot connect through seperate GPON
2024-03-04 11:25:35

@Epicuriouz 

Hi,

1. please check whether 'Sercomm W1-H500s' router is also using Dynamic IP as WAN Connection Type

2. when you clone MAC address by using the Sercomm MAC address, please make sure it is the Sercomm WAN Port MAC address instead of LAN MAC address

3. for comparison, please connect a computer to the Nokia G010G-P' ONT device directly to see if computer could obtain IP address and get internet access

Or if you would like to avoid double NATs, you could also connect Archer Air R5 to 'Sercomm W1-H500s' router and configure Archer as AP mode.

Options
2024-03-04 17:58:19

@Sunshine, thanks for your response,

1. I am positive that this is the case. It does not explicit state it anywhere in the router options. Even if I force it into 'Admin' mode there are no other options to view. IP does change regular. If you can offer advice on how I may test this alternatively, I would be grateful.

2. I have done this step. The label on the router gioves the same information as below (figure 1). Though it does say 'LAN Network' in the header... frown I checked using WireShark and it gives the same information.

3. If I plug a computer directly to the ONT device, there is no internet connection. I presume the ONT device is checking that it is the router on the other end before allowing the connection?

I understand that my next step may just be to contact Finetwork to see if they are able to proivde access their end. I am unable to even puit the Sercomm router into Bridge Mode as I have done in the past! Though I have seen that FiNetwork cvan make that change. I am just looking for another solution rather than having to contact the ISP in a different language from my own!

Thanks again, any further advice appreciated.

figure 1.

Options
2024-03-05 01:03:18

@Epicuriouz 

Since the computer cannot get internet access either when connected to the ONT device, there must be some restrictions from the modem/ISP side.

However, the ISP Router MAC address you cloned is indeed LAN MAC address instead of WAN MAC address, it seems that your ISP router doesn't show the WAN MAC address on its management page, in that case, please refer to the Situation 2->Method 1 to find the ISP Router WAN MAC address and clone it: 

How do I configure MAC Address Clone on my TP-Link Archer Router?

Options
Re:Cannot connect through seperate GPON-Solution
3 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

I am back! A few months later, but I felt compelled to write how I solved this issue for those looking for similar help.

The issue is that I needed to have the router setup with a PPPoE username and password: Most ISPs will NOT give this to you.

I followed multiple guides online that required me to use WireShark, accessing the admin user settings by pausing and editing the HTML, port mirroring, unplugging and plugging in ethernet cables... All took many attempts, many hours and resulted in nothing.

Eventually, using a different method, I did get the PPPoE credentials and on the first try.

Ingredients

​​​​​​- You will need to feel comfortable downloading Ubuntu. 

- You need to download a little Python script

- You should know your ISP (I realised after writing that my network was actually Vodafone that was sold on by Finetwork; I was unfamiliar with the ISPs in Spain).

- You will need to enter your PPPoE into the TPlink router and updated your VLAN settings (this is made available by the python script also)

Method

Follow the guide within the Tutorials on the 'frikodelto​​​​​​' dot com website. It is in Spanish, so you will need to translate. Be wary that it may translate the filename of the script, I didn't notice this at first and it stopped me for a short ten seconds. The script name is 'FRIKIpppoe' if you are trying to find the website via a search engine.

The script will let you know the VLAN details you need then it took about 30 seconds to run after which it spat out the PPPoE credentials.

Hope this helps somebody out there!

Recommended Solution
Options
2 weeks ago

@Epicuriouz 

Thanks a lot for the update, glad to hear that you've solved the problem finally.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 172

Replies: 5

Related Articles