Cat7 connectivity on tp link home router and switches

2024-03-04 10:18:41

Previously I bought a 25M Cat7 cable with not much researching for future proofing to 2.5 / 10G networking, but in some after buying it and quick research I found out that it seemed cat7 isn't supported for home network and the speed will be not reach 10G or so, my question is will it get the 2.5 / 10G support on the home network side ( router & switch )

ps :

i haven't bought any of the router and switches but for the current one I will buy them though I know it will be limited to 1G currently but what about for future proofing

plans :

router : (1 router + 1 AP mode ) 840N / 845N

switch : LS1008 / sf1008d

Options
5 Reply
Re:Cat7 connectivity on tp link home router and switches
2024-03-05 06:53:13

@KappaLenny 

For Ethernet ports related question especially multi-gigabit ports and related routers, please refer to this thread: Introduction of Multi-Gigabit Ethernet Ports and User Scenarios etc. 

If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2024-03-05 07:59:55 - last edited 2024-03-05 08:19:51

@Sunshine 

so cat7 is supported on tp link basic home network system ?

bc there are rumors that CAT7 is a proprietary connector that's not using rj45 topology so no home networking companies supports it

ps : the cable I bought is from a company named Vention

here's the specific product site from an e-commerce ( indonesian )  https://tokopedia.link/xOW5ND8hIHb

Options
2024-03-05 20:41:08

@KappaLenny 

Hi,

Apparently, the official "Category 7" standard defines two connector types that may be used for Cat 7 cables. "GG45" and "TERA".
However, none of them would fit into the usual home network equipment.

But many places do sell "Cat 7" network cables with RJ45 connectors, like the one you posted the link for. Right?

Basically, these network cables are manufactured using bulk Cat 7 cable and have RJ45 connectors attached to them.

However, since there is no such standard it means that by attaching RJ45 connectors to Cat 7 bulk cable the resulting network cable as a whole does only conform to the Cat 6a standard.

Although there is nothing wrong with that, because Cat 6a also allows for 10 Gbit/s connections over a maximum of 100 meters.

Anyway, if you buy a cable that is specifically being advertised as Cat 7 cable with RJ45 connectors, then it should work for your purposes.

Options
2024-03-05 21:05:34 - last edited 2024-03-05 21:08:00

@woozle if the normal "Cat 7" standard shouldn't fit into the rj45 port like you mentioned, then I'm probably safe since the one i buy can connect to the isp modem though it's not working when i connect it with my macbook ( probably apple's fault ) and it seemed like the seller also market it as rj45 too.

about the basic limitation of cat 7 cable will it still be 10G at Cat 6a standard or only be limited to the 1G Cat 6 standard ?

Options
2024-03-06 22:53:25 - last edited 2024-03-06 22:53:38

@KappaLenny 

Just search for the names of the connectors I mentioned on the Internet and you will see pictures of them. Then look at the Ethernet ports of your devices and you can easily determine which connectors will fit.

The following information about the support of 10 Gb speeds is also from the Internet. 

Cat 6:   10 Gb up to 37 meters cable length 

Cat 6a: 10 Gb up to 100 meters cable length

Cat 7:   10 Gb up to 100 meters cable length

Options