Clients don't seem to want to connect to Deco M9+ units, only to the X20's

2024-03-04 14:53:54 - last edited 2024-03-05 23:07:30
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.6.3 Build 20231225 Rel. 60770

Good Morning,

I've been trying to troubleshoot why I may be having WiFi problems with my Deco system, and I noticed in my network map that almost no clients are connecting to some of my mesh units.

My network consists of 3x Deco X20 devices, and 3x Deco M9+ devices. Almost all of my clients in my home connect to the X20 devices, and the M20+ devices routinely say 0 clients are connected to them. For this reason, I feel like I have some deadspots in my home, and I find that my WiFi frequently drops on my work computer when I'm working from home. 

The main X20 device is set up as an access point as I have a Synology Server connected directly to my modem/router's 10gbps ethernet line. WiFi is disabled on the modem. 

Anyone know what might be going on here? Here's a screenshot of my network map from the Deco App:

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Clients don't seem to want to connect to Deco M9+ units, only to the X20's-Solution
2024-03-04 16:51:36 - last edited 2024-03-05 23:07:30

@departedspceman 

If I to speculate, I suspect that your devices prefer faster WiFi6 and connect to X20s. M9 Plus is WiFi5 only.

If you have Connection Preference feature in your app, you could use it to convince stationary devices such as PC to connect to nearby Deco unit. For mobile devices, let them choose what they want.

If your work computer drops WiFi connection to Satellite Deco, just bring Satellite Deco close to work computer and link them by Ethernet cable. Might not be the most convenient if you often move work computer between home and work place, but will be most reliable.

Long term, make your WiFi mesh consistent: all nodes should support same WiFi protocols. With your current Deco mesh that would mean replacing of M9 Plus with Deco units from X-series. These new units don't have to be X20, you could get X50/X55 for example. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Clients don't seem to want to connect to Deco M9+ units, only to the X20's-Solution
2024-03-04 16:51:36 - last edited 2024-03-05 23:07:30

@departedspceman 

If I to speculate, I suspect that your devices prefer faster WiFi6 and connect to X20s. M9 Plus is WiFi5 only.

If you have Connection Preference feature in your app, you could use it to convince stationary devices such as PC to connect to nearby Deco unit. For mobile devices, let them choose what they want.

If your work computer drops WiFi connection to Satellite Deco, just bring Satellite Deco close to work computer and link them by Ethernet cable. Might not be the most convenient if you often move work computer between home and work place, but will be most reliable.

Long term, make your WiFi mesh consistent: all nodes should support same WiFi protocols. With your current Deco mesh that would mean replacing of M9 Plus with Deco units from X-series. These new units don't have to be X20, you could get X50/X55 for example. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Clients don't seem to want to connect to Deco M9+ units, only to the X20's
2024-03-05 23:07:13

@Alexandre. Thank you so much for your response. Makes sense! I have decided to reture the M9+ units from my network and have ordered X55's. I'll set up the M9+'s at my in-laws house. 

Thanks again. 

Options