WiFi Extender Use of DHCP Server in Settings

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2024-03-07 13:01:53 - last edited 2024-03-07 13:03:24
Model: TL-WA854RE  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 1.0.12

Since fitting the range extender, I've been having intermittent issues with other devices on both ethernet and wifi.

I note that when I log onto the Extender it has DHCP Server settings of Auto, On or Off. Mine is set to Auto with a Range of 100-199.

Documentation I've looked at doesn't mention this setting and I'm confused as to what it's doing and if Auto is right for me. Ie, Is it allocating an IP (from its pool) to devices that connect to it? If so they could clash with IP allocated by the main router. OR does the Auto setting make the Extender realise that the main router is doing that job? Or what?

Options
2 Reply
Re:WiFi Extender Use of DHCP Server in Settings
2024-03-08 05:48:53

@Graham307 

Hi, Could you please check whether your issue is like the following post:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/628396

If yes, you can install the beta firmware here to see whether it helps.

Best regards.

Options
Re:WiFi Extender Use of DHCP Server in Settings
2024-03-08 09:54:31 - last edited 2024-03-08 09:55:35

@David-TP

Yes, It was exactly like that. Surprised I didn't come across it in my searching.

Funny thing is though, I'd had the Extender in working fine for a couple of months before I started getting the problem, so I never associated it with the Extender. I actually contacted Talktalk, my ISP, and they saw problems and unbenown to me capped my speed at 2Mbps. I had 2 engineers out to try and fix the speed problem before being told they had capped it. That was sorted so only then did I start to suspect devices (>30) on my LAN.

Perhaps the Extender auto updated its Firmware?

Anyway, yesterday I set the Extender DHCP to Manual, giving it a fixed IP address (like all of my other fixed devices) and the DHCP Server setting to Off. I have not experienced the problems since (only 24Hrs I know).

I'd still like to know what the DHCP Server setting actually does.

I'll add a post on the other thread regarding my experience.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1227

Replies: 2

Related Articles