Wired BE85 satelite gives "weak signal"

2024-03-09 10:21:38

Hello guys,

Is there a reason why my wired BE85 satellite gives a "weak signal"? 

I've tried replacing the UTP cables, replaced the switch (Netgear GS308), changed the location of the satellite etc etc, but nothing helps.

It remains with "weak signal", I don't understand why because this satellite is connected wired to the other satellite...

How can I fix this?

I would presume a wired satellite gives a strong signal by default since it's wired connected...

Thanks for your help and advice.

Frederiek 

Options
12 Reply
Re:Wired BE85 satelite gives "weak signal"
2024-03-09 13:33:33

@Frederiek 

In Deco app, when you open Satellite Deco info page, if it uses Ethernet for backhaul you will see the following:

What do you see in your Deco app for that Satellite BE85?

Options
2024-03-09 14:09:11

@Alexandre. Same as yours, Connected to : Living Room (Ethernet/2.4GHz/ 5GHz/ 6GHz)

The weird thing is, I just installed the outdoor mesh satellite (also wired) the same way as I installed the other BE85 satellite and the DX50 says signal "strong".

I've exchanged 2 BE85 satellites to make sure the one with the weak signal is not broken, but both BE85 gave me "weak signal". (it starts with strong signal and 5 seconds later it changes to "weak")

So weird :-( 

Options
2024-03-09 14:14:37

@Alexandre. 

Look, this is the BE85 (wired) 

And this is the new X50 (wired) placed outdoor 

It weird that the "hondenkamer" (dog room :p) says 2.4GHz/ 5GHz/ 6GHz next to the ethernet no?

Options
2024-03-09 14:25:22 - last edited 2024-03-09 14:26:22

@Frederiek 

It is weird, it must be something with BE85 backhaul reporting. They used similar approach for powerline Deco: Satellite will connect by powerline but will report both powerline and WiFi backhaul, which is confusing.

With X-series of Deco and before, when Ethernet backhaul is used WiFi bands are not shown and Signal is always strong.

They must have changed that with BE-series of Deco. I wonder, why.

As long as you see Ethernet, Satellite does use Ethernet link for backhaul and I would suggest to ignore Signal strength.

Options
2024-03-09 14:31:44 - last edited 2024-03-09 14:32:32

@Alexandre. Yes, both access points (BE85 ad X50) are showing ethernet in the app, look screenshot below.

Still very confusing and annoying it's showing weak signal :-(

Anybody else or somebody from TP-Link to help me out here? :-)

Options
2024-03-10 00:29:39

@Frederiek 

Have you tested the speed directly from that node despite it shows weak signal even after backhauling it with ethernet?

Try plugging in a laptop and run a speed test to check the speed.

If the speed is not reduced by ethernet or WiFi, then is highly firmware UI bug. 

Kindly log a report through the app and attach a screenshot mentioning about the UI showing up differently when using ethernet backhaul.

Options
2024-03-10 09:23:57

@Omochao Hi there,

That's what I tested yesterday indeed and there is full wifi speed at that node so it's probably an annoying UI bug...

I don't see the feature to submit bugs in the app, where is that feature exactly? 

Options
2024-03-10 10:19:16

@Frederiek 

Simply hit the 3 lines button on your top left and go to support.

Find a topic, and click No, it didn't solve the problem.

The next screen you will be able to attach a screenshot and include system logs and send a support ticket to them.

they will reply you through email.

Options
2024-03-10 10:46:53

@Omochao done :-)

It's annoying because this section is showing in French and I don't know how to change the language of the support section. The app is in English but only the support section is in French...

I live in Belgium and half of Belgium speaks French and the other half speaks Dutch, so I don't know why they are showing the section in French by default (instead of English and showing a language selector). This is quite noobish... 

Options
2024-03-10 13:04:02

@Frederiek 

No worries , technology is created by mankind, it will definitely have flaws and setbacks the same as human. But hopefully with your report and the other users, Tp-Link can iron it out soon.

Imagine you are using ISP provided mesh/routers. 99% they won't even bother to answer or provide support other than asking you to hard-reset or turn off modem which in most cases will not help at all 100%

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 707

Replies: 12

Related Articles