Archer VR2800 will not connect to the internet when configured in the DSL Modem Router Mode

Archer VR2800 will not connect to the internet when configured in the DSL Modem Router Mode

2024-03-12 15:08:20
Tags: #NBN Configuration #Internet Connectivity
Model: Archer VR2800  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 0.9.0 0.9.1 v006c.0 Build 2211025 Rel.61007n

As per the comment in the subject line, I have not been able to connect the Archer VR2800 device to the internet when configured in the DSL Modem Router mode.

When configured in this mode, I have tried to establish internet connections using the quick set up wizard and manually without success. The DSL LED remains off the entire time, and I have waited for up to 30 minutes waiting for it to synchronise.

I have not been able to connect to the internet using either of the following settings.

Operation Mode: DSL Modem Router Mode

VLAN Tag: Customer Vlan Tag

VLAN Tag: 2

Connection Type: PPPoE

With both the username and password set.

Operation Mode: DSL Modem Router Mode

VLAN Tag: No VLAN Tag

VLAN Tag: N/A

The physical hardware when used in this way is as follows.

1. RJ11 cable plug from wall socket, which is connected to the RJ11 DSL input socket of the Archer VR2800.

My ISP is TPG which provides a VDSL service, and I have confirmed my username and password details.

I have successfully managed to connect to the internet with NO problems when using the following settings.

Operation Mode: Wireless Router Mode

VLAN Tag: Customer Vlan Tag

VLAN Tag: 2

The physical hardware when used in this way is as follows.

1. RJ11 cable plug from wall socket, which is connected to the RJ11 wall socket input of my NetComm NDD-0300 (FTTC) modem,
  2. RJ45 cable plug from the Gateway socket on the NDD-0300 to the LAN4/WAN port on the Archer VR2800.

Based upon the internet connection troubleshooting within the Archer VR2800 user manual, and considering I can connect to the internet, albeit via the wireless router mode, this identfies that the internat connection is good, along with my ISP username and password.

Performing an internet search has allowed me to try several suggestions, however none have been successful thus far. One intresting comment I read was about a person who suggested that they needed to enable their IPTV settings, along with a VLAN Tag of 2. This seemed odd, considering that settting is supposedly for high quality video and fast streaming.

In any case, I would really appreciate some further suggestions because I am absolutely out of ideas, and I have used a considerable amount of time experimenting with no luck. Because the Archer VR2800 is an NBN ready device, I would like to leverage the DSL Modem Router functionality to it's fullest extent as I would like to remove the exising NDD-0300 modem if possible.

I have also attahed some screen shots with internat connectivity in the Wireless Router Mode.

I'm intrested to hear your feedback and take on your suggestions.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Archer VR2800 will not connect to the internet when configured in the DSL Modem Router Mode
2024-03-12 16:20:57

@Lardan 

You will need to use the Netcomm NDD-0300 modem.

The Netcomm NDD-0300 is a NBN supplied modem that has to be used on a FTTC connection as it is a reverse powered modem ( NCD) that powers the Distrubition Point Unit ( DPU ) out in the street , so you can't replace it with another modem as they are not a reverse powered modem and won't be recognised by the NBN network and it is basically a dumb modem , so you just need a router to connect to the NCD.

Hence the VR2800 only works in wireless router mode.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:Archer VR2800 will not connect to the internet when configured in the DSL Modem Router Mode
2024-03-13 10:10:28

@terziyski 

Hey thanks for your reply and clarifying.

I did wonder about this, because I saw the output voltage on the NDD-0300 being 60VDC which then prompted me to read more details about the NCD (NDD-0300).

"The NCD incorporates a G.fast and VDSL modem. The NCD is used in conjunction with FTTC DPU which is sourced via a reverse-power feed which allows the DPU to be powered by the customers premises."

This explains why I never receive an illuminated DSL light on the VR2800 either.

Thanks once again for raising that point. 

Options