Are these really that bad? TP-Link AV1300 Gigabit Passthrough Powerline ac Wi-Fi Kit

Are these really that bad? TP-Link AV1300 Gigabit Passthrough Powerline ac Wi-Fi Kit

2024-03-13 17:03:25 - last edited 3 weeks ago
Model: TL-WPA8631P KIT  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have just taken delivery of the above and the speeds are abysmal.

Brief overview of my system and needs

I am wanting to have a hard wired network without having to wire in loads of cables around the house. I have the Eero mesh system and that works ok but I have 1gb download speed at the router with barely 100mbps on wifi with Eero, so I am looking at hard wired options.

These seemed to be the perfect fit for me.

I have plugged the main unit into the wall and then connected the ethenet cable to the Eero which is connected to the main sky router. The Wifi is disabled on the main router (sky router) so that my Eero wifi network doesn't get mixed up with other signals.

My Eero app is telling me that the download speed at the main Eero device is 970mbps so it is the same as what the main router would give me.

The TP link devide is plugged into this Eero device.

I have the second part of this TP link kit plugged into a wall socket upstairs. I downloaded the tplink app and a device appeared. I hard wired my pc to the TP link device and did a speed test. The result was 9mbps. I took the ethernet cable out and over wifi was getting over 100mbps which is better but I am going for closer to the 970mbps I have at the router, which is why I am trying this product.

Going back into the app, suddenly there is a second device showing which I have to assume is the main unit plugged into the Eero. Going back into the app now, all devices have vanished.

Can anyone help me understand what is going on and if it is possible to get this thing working as advertised?

I tried connecting the main TP link device directly to my sky router instead of the Eero to see if there might be some configuration error but the app simply does not find the device when I do that.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Are these really that bad? TP-Link AV1300 Gigabit Passthrough Powerline ac Wi-Fi Kit-Solution
2024-03-14 06:05:49 - last edited 3 weeks ago

@chesterflaps 

If the Powerline devices are working but they are not coming up in the tpPLC utility or App, you may try the following troubleshooting.

1. Ensure the client device installed tpPLC Utility or App and the powerline devices are working in the same network so that they could communicate with each other.

2. Connect your client device to the powerline unit directly via Ethernet cable or Wireless (unplug other powerline units)

3. Download and try the latest tpPLC Utility or App

4. Turn off Firewall settings or Anti-virus software on your client device.

5. Turn off VPN software or mobile data

6. Try a different client device.

In addition, for the speed issue, the powerline device speed can be affected mainly by the powerline rate between the two powerline units, so after you solve the tpPLC utility/App detecting device issue, you could check the powerline rate between them on the tpPLC utility/App.

If the powerline rate is too low, refer to this guide: What can I do if my powerline rate is very low?

And here is Explanation about the Powerline Rate and Actual speed of the Powerline Adapters for your reference as well.

Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Are these really that bad? TP-Link AV1300 Gigabit Passthrough Powerline ac Wi-Fi Kit-Solution
2024-03-14 06:05:49 - last edited 3 weeks ago

@chesterflaps 

If the Powerline devices are working but they are not coming up in the tpPLC utility or App, you may try the following troubleshooting.

1. Ensure the client device installed tpPLC Utility or App and the powerline devices are working in the same network so that they could communicate with each other.

2. Connect your client device to the powerline unit directly via Ethernet cable or Wireless (unplug other powerline units)

3. Download and try the latest tpPLC Utility or App

4. Turn off Firewall settings or Anti-virus software on your client device.

5. Turn off VPN software or mobile data

6. Try a different client device.

In addition, for the speed issue, the powerline device speed can be affected mainly by the powerline rate between the two powerline units, so after you solve the tpPLC utility/App detecting device issue, you could check the powerline rate between them on the tpPLC utility/App.

If the powerline rate is too low, refer to this guide: What can I do if my powerline rate is very low?

And here is Explanation about the Powerline Rate and Actual speed of the Powerline Adapters for your reference as well.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 209

Replies: 1

Related Articles