Double-clicking a file in a shared USB opens a new Edge tab

2024-03-13 17:13:42 - last edited 2024-03-17 18:23:45
Model: Archer C1200  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.0.3 Build 20211219 Rel. 67401 (EU)

I'm trying to share a USB drive from the router, and have it mostly working. The drive is plugged into the router, and I choose the folders to share. I added it a sa network drive on my PC (Windows 11), and can see th efolders and files.

However, if I double-click a file, then instead of opening the file with the default program, Edge pops up with a new tab. It doesn't even load the file into Edge, it just opens a new tab.

Anyone any idea why this happens? I want it to behave like any other folder, ie double-clicking a file wold open it in the default program.

Thanks

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Double-clicking a file in a shared USB opens a new Edge tab-Solution
2024-03-17 16:32:25 - last edited 2024-03-17 18:23:45

@Yossu 

The router's storage not showing up under "Network" is quite normal, but it should work when typing in the router's address.

The last idea I have is to try if enabling the SMB 1.0 protocol in Windows would make any difference. It's possible that the C1200 is so old that is doesn't support SMB 2.0 or higher. But the old SMB 1.0 is disabled in newer versions of Windows by default.

Recommended Solution
Options
10 Reply
Re:Double-clicking a file in a shared USB opens a new Edge tab
2024-03-13 17:21:22

@Yossu Don't know if it's relevant, but I forgot to mention that if I look in the Network section in File Explorer, I see the USB shared under Media devices (I changed the Network/Media Server Name to Stuff)...

If I doube-click that, it opens the router web page. If I right-click it, I only have the options of opening media player or the web page. I expected to be able to browse the folders, but couldn't. That's why I had to add a network drive using ftp://etc

Options
2024-03-13 20:03:55

@Yossu 

Here's a guide on how to access the USB sorage devices on a TP-Link router.

This includes SMB(Samba) and FTP for local access and FTP for remote access.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-03-17 14:25:32
@terziyski Thanks for the reply, but I did all that. As I explained at the beginning, I can access the drive and can see the files. The problem is that when I double-click on a file, instead of opening it in the default program, it opens a new Edge window. Are you able to explain why that happens, and how I get it to open files with the default program? Thanks again.
Options
2024-03-17 15:33:41

Yossu wrote

That's why I had to add a network drive using ftp://etc

@Yossu 

Hi,

If you added the network drive using the ftp link, then what you are seeing is normal behavior and it can't be changed.

To use the USB storage of your Archer C1200 like any other drive you need to map it as a Samba share.

What happens if you open Windows File Explorer and type \\192.168.0.1 in the address bar? (use your C1200's correct LAN IP address if it is not 192.168.0.1) 

Options
2024-03-17 15:45:55
@woozle Thanks for the reply. If I try to access the drive using \\192.168.0.1, then Windows says that it cannot access it. Same if I try \\Stuff (where Stuff is the name I gave the network/media server). Thanks again, any other ideas?
Options
2024-03-17 15:51:29

@Yossu 

Can you please post a screenshot of the "USB Settings" menu of your Archer C1200? (similar to the screenshot below)

Options
2024-03-17 15:54:50

Don't know if it adds anything, but here are the settings in the router page (I just disabled the FTP option to see if it made any difference, was enabled by default)...

...and here is what I see in the Network node in File Explorer...

As I said above, if I enter \\Stuff or \\192.168.0.1 in the File Explorer address bar, I get a message saying Windows cannot access the drive.

Thanks again

Options
2024-03-17 15:56:18

@woozle  your reply came in as I was typing!

Anyway, here's the other bit of the USB settings in case it helps...

Options
Re:Double-clicking a file in a shared USB opens a new Edge tab-Solution
2024-03-17 16:32:25 - last edited 2024-03-17 18:23:45

@Yossu 

The router's storage not showing up under "Network" is quite normal, but it should work when typing in the router's address.

The last idea I have is to try if enabling the SMB 1.0 protocol in Windows would make any difference. It's possible that the C1200 is so old that is doesn't support SMB 2.0 or higher. But the old SMB 1.0 is disabled in newer versions of Windows by default.

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-03-17 18:23:38
Thanks, that sorted it!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 248

Replies: 10

Related Articles