VPN Speeds

VPN Speeds

VPN Speeds
VPN Speeds
2024-03-21 15:46:35 - last edited 2024-04-08 09:45:22
Model: Archer AX3000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.6 Build 20231130 rel.36135(4555)

My incoming broadband speed is 1Gb/s and I have confirmed that I am receiving this speed via the router.  However, I require a VPN and have been using NordVPN.  The router is configured using OpenVPN using a NordVPN configuratiuon file.  A workstation has been chosen to run via the VPN on my small Windows server 2022 home network.  Without the VPN, I am receiving download speeds of 1.17Gb/s and upload speed of 101 Gb/s.  When the VPN is activated for the workstation on the server, the download speed drops to 10Mb/s and the upload speed remains at approximately 16 Mb/s.  

Having tested NordVPN for leaktests, changed various configuration files to use TCP and UDP protocols, there has been no improvement.

Ultimately, NordVPN was removed and replaced with Cyberghost.  Unfortunately, the speeds obtained mirrored those received by Nord.

These tests have been carried out on 3 different computers with 3 different network cards.  The results remains the same.

Has anyone experienced the same issue?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:VPN Speeds-Solution
2024-03-22 07:20:37 - last edited 2024-04-08 09:45:22

@RayUK 

The TP-Link Router's CPU restrictions are frequently the cause of the sluggish VPN speed while utilizing the VPN Server or VPN Client. Establishing VPN connections may be slower on a router since its processing power is not as strong as that of a computer or other devices. One of the main causes of the reduced speeds is the router's restricted processing power.

You might think about configuring the VPN connection on a computer directly which usually could have much better VPN performance.

Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:VPN Speeds-Solution
2024-03-22 07:20:37 - last edited 2024-04-08 09:45:22

@RayUK 

The TP-Link Router's CPU restrictions are frequently the cause of the sluggish VPN speed while utilizing the VPN Server or VPN Client. Establishing VPN connections may be slower on a router since its processing power is not as strong as that of a computer or other devices. One of the main causes of the reduced speeds is the router's restricted processing power.

You might think about configuring the VPN connection on a computer directly which usually could have much better VPN performance.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 82

Replies: 1

Related Articles