Better understanding of mesh network operationally

2024-03-21 22:53:38
Model: Deco XE75 Pro  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

I recently purchased the Deco XE75 pro 6E version to upgrade my google mesh system with tthe purpose of overcoming a problem.  I have a very large older house with a large part very much like rambler and then a 2 story multi-level attached at one end that goes up to a 2nd story and lower goes down a few steps. 
My problem was the google mesh has difficulty reaching the length of the rambler, no matter where I positioned & testted with Network Analyzer app.  From what I read/reviewed of the Deco system it seemed like a problem solved since they are all routers. 
I was expecting/hoping each non-main router (point) would boost the signal to the final point and did anticipate some degradation but have been somewhat disappointed with results.
I'm not overly network savvy but did study network schemas and read reviews but perhaps I'm missing something.  Can someone please provide me with some sound advice on mesh network operations.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Better understanding of mesh network operationally
2024-03-22 07:06:30

@fasamcat 

Hi, welcome to the community.

Do you plan to wirelessly connect Deco XE75 Pro one after another, such as:

Deco XE75 Pro supports "Connection Preference" so users can manually choose the signal source of satellite Deco units.

Connection Preference: Customize Your Preferred Signal Source

So It is a great idea to extend the wireless coverage with Deco.

While considering a pure Wi-Fi Mesh Backhaul, the network speeds would degrade after one hop due to the working pattern and protocol/regulation of Wi-Fi technology, such as Why is my satellite Deco unit not getting the same speed as the main Deco?

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2024-03-22 21:36:08

@David-TP 
Thank you for the reply.
That is a great/insightful question you asked.
My current focus has been on improving the "hop" from point to point but I also plan on adding a switch from the main Deco to control a powerline adapoter process to improve speed to my main computer.  My initial foray of a cable from from main Deco to powerline produced poor results and doing a little research I find this process tends to top out at 100 mbps which is a definite downgrade.  I have 1gbps cable from modem.  I may end up using a pur wifi network.  Any advice is welcome as my network background is sketchy at best. 

Options
2024-03-25 02:41:50

@fasamcat 

Hi, Powerline adapters should be a good suggestion and I think you might not get the proper model.

For example, TL-PA9020Pkit would get more than 100m/s. With the AV2000 powerline rate, the expected Ethernet speed could be 400m/s-600m/s.

Moreover, If the house could be(or already is) deployed with MOCA  adapters, You could also create Ethernet Backhaul via MOCA adapters.

https://www.screenbeam.com/wifihelp/wifibooster/what-is-moca-why-do-i-want-it/

Best regards.

Options
2024-03-25 15:59:16

@David-TP 

Setting the connection preference was very helpful.  Thank you!

That is the Powerline kit I have but I'm only getting 100mbps from it with no significant wifi load. 

I would be ecstatic with 400 mbps via powerline and was kind of what I was expecting. 

My confiuration is:

• modem connected to Deco main router 2.5 gbps port.
  • 1 gbps port connect to powerline port.

Pretty straight forward.  

Options